Combines New to Massey

terry

Dan, Congradulations on your 850! I'm not sure about the serial n, sounds a tad low for an '84. I have had the same trouble on an 860 as you describe. If you want to read our comments, go back to 8_23_98 on this Massey sight, I believe the other guys name is Greyhawk. I have looked at many Masseys with the same problem. I am fortunate to have a neighbor who is one of these guys who know how to weld and build things. He took some iron about 1_2 to 3_4 inch thick by one or two inches wide, length was as long as would fit from the spot where that big bearing is mounted to the bottom right next to the frame of the combine. Mine was also cracked in front of this big bearing mount where he also beefed up. Before this I had welded around this whole area quite a few times, replaced the shaker arm and bearings, also a good Massey mechanic at Killdeer ND,thought that the shims holding the whole shoe alighnment were put in wrong at the factory. He put them in the way they were supposed to be, did not help as the whole deal cracked again. Thats when my neighbor came to help, and so far after about 1000 hrs, its lasted the longest of all the fixes I've tried-I'm knocking on wood right now! Years back, all of the 760's cracked there too, but if you welded the cracks it always seemed to fix it for good. It would be nice to know if there was ever a service bulletin on it. Hope this helps you Dan. Terry

Dan

Thanks for your comments, Terry. I must have missed that earlier post. I see Greyhawk is a fellow Aussie, too. I hope to find out if there is a service bulletin on this sometime soon.

terry

Dan, I was reading my comments to you about how to fix the cracks, I forgot to mention that this big thick iron that was welded on, we cut holes in it so you could access the bolts that hold that big bearing. I know its hard to describe something without some diagrams, and for me that sometimes doesn't help!!! See ya later, Terry