Combines 7 8l engine

Ilnewholland

I have had a TR-95,96,97 and now TR-98. The 95 had cat 3208 engine that I liked very much. I could cut soybeans at about .8 gal per ac. The 96 had the Ford 7.8 and it had plenty of power, but used about 1.1 gal per ac. My TR-97 had the 7.5 genesis engine had more power than I needed and used about the same the 96 did fuel wise. The TR-98 that I now have has the genesis engine also but it has air to air intercooling and more power than my 25 ft grain head or 8 row corn head needs and uses less than 1 gal per ac. of fuel or about the same as the cat in my TR-95 did. I could run out of power in that 95 but not in the 97 or 98 anymore. Hope this answer's your IJ My $0.02.

TwinRotor

That goes to show how remarkable the 7.5l Genesis engine is. My guess why New Holland came out with this engine is that it would be smaller and more fuel effeicent. But the only differences between the the 7.8l and the 7.5l Genesis size wise ,the 7.8l has a slightly longer stroke than the 7.5l. Also for any engine to only burn a gallon of fuel an acre running at 2500 rpm is good. THANKS

Ilnewholland

I forgot to say that the TR-98 runs at 2250 rpm now and the 97 did at 2500 rpm.

NHD

I agree with the RE's. I have had all of the mentioned engines. I am a custom harvester and a midwest corn and bean farmer. I would not own or want to run the Cat engine ever again. I had a TR-98 and 99 this summer and a 98 and a 97 a couple of summers ago. The Genesis engine with air to air intercooler is the best of any that I know of.I think .8 gal per acre is very realistic. The TR-99 is a HORSE. lots of efficientpower. Tremendous capacity. I even tore belts in two this summer. Considerable less fuel per day and per acre because of increased capacity. The TR-96's were far less efficient. I love'em. To me it makes a lot of sense with high fuel price to have the most effecient engine on the market.

Ilnewholland

I know the new genesis engine is much beeter than that old cat was, but I had that TR-95 for 11 years and fell in love with it I think! A person should not keep one that long. I knew that combine like the back of my hand. I'm not sure if that was good or not. Now I don't keep a combine that long.

TR1

The TR97 we had with 7.8 had more power than the one in the TR96 but we had trouble keeping injectors in. The TR98 with the 7.5 has way more power and has done well so far.