Combines 8820 Throwing wheat outIJ

M__Gorden

If you take a handful of threshed wheat, chaff, and straw and throw it up into the air, which goes the highestIJ The wheat grains, of course. That is what I believe is the cause of walker losses in JD combines. The speed of the walkers is fast enough to throw the grain into the upper layer of straw and keep it there until the grain goes out the back. That explains why that, over the years, the walkers get longer but the walker losses persist. Once I tried slowing the walkers down, on a 20 series combine, by slowing engine rpm down to 2050. I reset the fan speed and cylinder rpm back up where they need to be. The walker loss decreased greatly to acceptable levels. I thought I solved the problem. I changed the ratio of the walker drive, so I could get the engine rpm back up to 2200. This worked well until the machine headed down hill. On a steep decline, the slower walker speed could not walk the straw out and it plugged up. Regardless, that proved to me why, with all that shaking, the grain still goes out the back! I tried all of these suggested tricks such as; Pulled concave wires (overloaded the sieves)

Rava

Your best solution is to buy a nice rotary.They are lots easier to service and maintain.

tj

Questions---- How is the concave adjusted at the zero settingIJ Is it tighter in back than in frontIJ Are you using walker curtainsIJ What is the condition of the straw behind the machineIJ Is it fairly whole, or is it fairly badly torn upIJ Are you operating with corn filler plates in the cylinderIJ.

Combineman

My guess is being from Ohio, your father in law has a corn bean combine. If you get the chance to compare deere wheat machines with the corn machines, you'll see that the walkers are different. Corn walkers have smaller oval shaped holes with a slight lip ahead of it. Wheat walkers have larger rectangle shaped holes. This really makes the difference on walker losses. Also on titan II models, as well as late model yellow cab models, on wheat machines. the beater runs at 150% of the cylinder speed. Corn machines run with the cyl. -100%.

Combineman

I'm not trying to be the "big expert" here but I did have an after thought. Take a look at your grain platform....The flighting on the auger on most deere headers are set for the feeder house width on a 6620 or a 7720. look to see if where the flighting ends on each side is narrower than the feeder house width. If it is, this is feeding a majority of the crop right down the middle of the combine. This will definatly "over Tax" the threashing and seperating system of the machine. Cut each side back the the width of the 8820"s feeder house. This is easier said than done espessially if the flighting has been hardened. This will better utilize the wide cylinder and seperating system of the 8820. Hope all this makes sence. Good luck CM

JlC

In our part of the country, to get the most efficiency out of the 20 series in all small grains, an extra wood block was added to the back of the straw walkers, this increased the angle and gave more time and more shaking for the grain to fall through the holes in the bottom of the walkers.

jay

How many risers are on the walkersIJ How many and what shape are the curtinsIJ IN MY OPINION Deere needs only one riser per walker. MY reasoning is that too many risers slow the flow of straw, letting the straw build up, not letting grain fall thru the walkers, thus carring out over walkers. The curtin knockes grain back down on to the walkers, and turns air flow back down.