Combines 20 series to 9000

OhioCCA

I doubt if you made a mistake. Alot of these problems come with high hours and possibly having to push the machine just a little to hard. I would say that you are going to propably have some adjusting to do by going from a 6620 to a 9600. To make this machine perform right, you have to keep it full. You don't mention how many hours the machine you traded for has on it. One thing you may gain from this site is to post that and have the guys give you some ideas of areas on the machine to check for any problems. Prevention is always cheaper than fixing it after it broke. Of course the one thing with any machine is the type of care it has had. Good luck, it really is a good machine.

Deerebines

Thank you for the insight OhioCCA. In light of your comments The machine has slightly less than 1000 hours on the seperator and around 1200 hours on the motor. I can't remember exactly. I checked augers, cylinder bars, chopper knives, walker bearings, feederhouse chain, and of course all the belts and roller chains. I am very new to these 9000 series so any and all imfo to help me pinpoint problems before they occur would be greatly appreciated. I realize that the major idea of this machine is not that much different than my 6620 was. Just larger capacity and more tin moving than before. But I am very confident that I am going to learn more from my first harvest than any book could ever tell me. Once again any insight that you fellows could give this "greenhorn" would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

OhioCCA

Check the bearings across the front of the auger bed (under the feeder house)and the wood blocks at the the back of these augers. If the blocks are worn I would suggest replacing them. There is a kit available that let's you replace these blocks with regular bearings. Did this about 3 years ago to our machine ( it's a 90 model)and have not had any of them go out. If you have any front bearings that act loose, I'd replace all of them. It's easier to do in the shop then in the field when the crop is ready. The only other thing that you haven't checked that could be a problem is the bolt that holds the straw walker gear box on the shaft. I'm not sure what the year break was on this problem. The earlier machines had a smaller size bolt hat held the box to the shaft. Some of them have had this bolt head break off. The suggested fix is to drill the shaft out for a larger bolt, check with your dealer. Our machine is still running with the original bolt in it. I'm not sure how wide spread a problem this was. I know the dealer here had to fix a few. You have to take a flashlight and try to look in behind the clean grain elevator. Not the easiest job in the world, but it can be done.

Deerebines

OhioCCA.......Thank You for the insight!! I wish I would of checked (or rather knew about) this web site before I went combine shopping now. I am compiling all of this imformation you have given me and that others have emailed me and am making a check list. I appreciate all replies and knowledge shared. I do have one more question that comes to mind now though. What is the advantage of the "10" series update to the cleaning fan drive vs. the "00" seriesIJ I value your "words of wisdom" along with any others that might have a view on the matter. Once again: THANK YOU!!!

OhioCCA

The "10" Series fan kit is going to increase the fan RPMs. This will provide a higher volocity air flow to keep the material suspended on the seives for better seperation. If you look at a 10 series you will also see that the pan in front of the fans has now been perferated to allow more air into the 2 center fans. What you may want to do is what we did when we put the kit in ours and try it. There is a pattern of holes in this pan in your machine that kind of form the corners of 3 rectangles. We cut this area out, the 3 rectangles of solid metal, and using the holes bolted a piece of flat expanded metal over the area. This allows the center fans to draw more air with out having to pull it in from the sides. I think we origanlly had a low air flow in the center of the sieves. Center fans were starving for air. Since we did this, plus installed the kit, we get less pods in beans without having to close the sieves tighter and runing grain back thru the machine. We also noted a big improvement in corn in cleaning out the bees wings. You may want to run the machine as is in your conditions and just keep this in mind. Maybe just try the cut outs first and see if it helps, if you have problems. I know with grain prices as such, we don't want to spend any more than we have to.