Combines 9600

gnu

Cylinder bars should be paired by weight, if not weigh them on a reasonabyt accurate scale....As you install them, bar numbers 1 and 6 install across from each other, and are opposites (1 is left, and 6 is right, or vice versa)...next is numbers 2 and 7 (n2 is opposite direction from n1, n7 is opposite direction to n6) and on around the cylinder....I like to weigh them and lay them in groups of 5 on the floor..n1 is the first bar in the first group, n6 is the first bar in the second group and is the opposite direction from n1 and on until they've been laid out....This lets you put them on the cylinder in order, instead of having to spin the cylinder over several times....After they're installed, look for a spot to which the cylinder consistently rolls down and watch for fast rollback...To determine the exact heavy spot, roll that area to the top---The point where it will exactly balance without rolling down is the heaviest point...I tape weights to the exact opposite side of this spot until the rollback, etc. are gone...A lot of times, this spot will be between bars, since the cylinder spiders aren't exactly well balanced...In that case, tape weights to the cylinder bars on either side of it...less weight to the lower cylinder bar, more weight to the higher cylinder bar....If you have a problem installing weight, you can tack weld to the backside of the cylinder bar...9600 bars and cylinders seem to be more mismatched than others, and can sometimes require up to around a pound or so of weight for precise balance...DO NOT WElD WEIGHTS TO THE CYlINDER SPIDERS (This can cause real problems when you change bars again)....Hope this is some helpTerry

Eric

What do you use for weightsIJ I've never gone that far in balancing one so I'am curious. Thanks, Eric

gnu

In order to determine what weight is needed, I use various sizes of 1_4" or 3_8" strap. Usually, I weigh them after I've determined what's needed then use 1_2" or 3_8" round rod for welded weights, although I suppose the smart thing to do would be to make some precise weights and mark them before I start testing...Terry

who

The way I balance a cylinder is to install all the bars , I don,t worry about wieghing them. Then with no belts attached so there is no drag. Next, the heavy end will be on the bottom so I bolt my wieghts to the spiders which are bolted to the shaft , thats why there are holes in the spiders ,place the weight in the top holes. Do this intill the cylinder doesn't have a heavy side and will stop in any position. You can get wieghts at your jd dealer.

fredster

I used to run a TX36 until this fall when I purchased a 9600. I really like the JD. I think my TX36 had maybe 10% more capacity in barley but the 9600 has probably 10%-15% more in wheat and canola. Maybe even 20% in canola. The biggest advantage in canola is it does not have the rotary seperater to choke through. Our TX used to start back feeding in canola even when I dropped the seperator grate to its lowest position. The JD is a much simpler machine and daily sevicing is 100 times better on the JD than the TX36. The TX66 is better to service than the TX36 but still not nearly as good as the 9600. It used to take me 30-40 min. a day to grease and service the TX36. Now it takes me 10 min. With all the other things I have to do in the morning, the 30-40 min. time savings matter. The TX36 also had grease zerks in the dumbest places! The cab on the JD is also nicer than the NH. I ran a TX66 for a week and the cab was nicer than my TX36 but I like the JD cab better. Overall, the JD is simpler, easier to service, and has more capacity than my TX36 did. Hope this helps you!

Bigsky

Just 50 hours on a MF8680, and this machine is approx the same capacity as the 9600, maybe even a touch more. I was very surprised.

9600man

In Reply to: 9600 posted by BigBoy on October 01, 2000 at 09:34:52: 2 years ago we bought a 9600 and were a proud of it.we harvest corn from4.5to6.0 mph. it was making 213bu_ac.this year our milo yields have been 25-50 bu_ac and cut from 6 to 7 mph.

augers

Just from memory I believe that the rice 9600 is 255 hp. Small grain is a bit less. Can't remember for sure but if it is important I will check. Bob

erndog

i believe all 9600s had the 466 ci engine in them. seems like it is turned up to put out around 240hp or so. some of the early ones had a power boost on them to give a little more oomph to dump on the go. not quite sure when deere went to the 8.1 , either the real late 9600 or for sure with the 9610. i have not found the 466 to be weak kneed. although i guess a little more horsepower can always come in handy.it is just a darned good engine.

erndog

at auction probably mid 20's maybe a little more if head is in decent shape. seen some pretty decent machines 93 and 94 go for that. heard a little newer machine with 1400 hrs or so went for 33k.