Combines mod s to CTS in peas

chuck

I have a 1997 cts and installed the slow down kit on the rear beater and changed the tine sep drive pulley to slow it down from 750 to 500 RPM. I also changed the chopper pulley to a smaller one to speed it back up. You can also take the crow feet out of the back of the concave to drop the peas out quicker. I got my pulleys from Western Sales in Rosetown SK. Where do you farmIJ

crazyfarmer

Thanks for the info. We farm at Abernethy, SK (about 70 miles east of Regina). How effective was the slow down kit at reducing crackingIJ How much was the kit and how long did installation takeIJ Do you have to remove kit to combine wheat_barley, etc.IJ

chuck

The pulley helped out quite a bit. I don't have any reason to want to put it back to the faster speed for the crops that i grow. I grow 1_2 pulses and 1_2 cereals. I find that the tines have all the grain separated in the front 1_2 and then just overload the shoe after that.I guess I am not using the tines to do any thrashing for me. The pulley cost around $1350 Canadian. It took only a couple hours to install.The chopper pulley is just a browning hub and I think I went from a 10" to a 6.5". PS. We are not done harvest here and lost all of the snow, last night we were combining lentils with our flex. Only 200 acres to go, hope to be done for Christmas because the wife won"t bring turkey to the field. Happy holidays.

Darryl

Dealer quoted me $2600 for the beater slow down kit. Is the 1300 for the beater slow down kit or the pulley to slow down the tine separatorIJ

Darryl

Chuck, Did you just use the pulleys that come with the beater on your 97 cts. It has 2 speeds that come from the factory. There is also a kit you can purchase from deere that will slow the beater down even more than the standard factory combine has. It is about $2600 and I am wondering if it is any better than the slow speed beater setting that comes on the machine. I have used the 500 rpm tine separator speed for quite a while, but was always disappointed with the spread on the chopper. Your idea of a smaller pulley to speed up the chopper is a great idea. Is it a deere part numberIJ Do you know what size the pulley isIJ Thanks for the help, Darryl

chuck

I got a slow down kit for the beater from deere but I can't remember the cost of it. It only was the 2 pulleys that I changed, but it sure wasn't $2600. I don't know what he is trying to sell you. I only put it in slow speed (500 rpm) when I am doing chickpeas or yellow peas. But I have been running the tines in slow speed for everything. In high speed (750 rpm) I just overload the shoe, so I blank off the back 3 rows of the tine grates as to not do that. As for the pulley I just put on a standard browning type pulley and I think it was a 6.5". I have a standard chopper not a fine cut and the pulley works good. I bought all my pulleys from Western Sales in Rosetown Saskatchewan. 306 882 4291 Where do you farm at DarrylIJ

Darryl

I farm in south central alberta, near drumheller. I was told that the cost of the beater slow down kit was to provide 2 new pulleys, a new belt, new hydraulic lines to move the reel speed pump out of the way, and a new circuit board for the slow speed beater warning. I was told that when slowing the beater down, the slow speed alarm would sound all the time. I also have excess shoe loads in very dry windrowed canola, and slowing the beater down may help me increase my ground speed without throwing more out the back. Otherwise, I am very happy with the combine. It is a little bit finicky to set for maximum capacity, but when you get it set, it goes very quick.

chuck

When I put my new pulleys on I didn't put on new hydralic lines. They only need a slight bend to make room for the bigger pulley. I usually only run in the slow speed when I need to and I just unhooked the shaft speed sensor and just put a jumper wire in it so the alarm wouldn't sound. I guess me cutting corners is why it wasn't that much money. There there is some value in having the alarm hooked up, how much the new board is I don't know.

Darryl

Do you think the slow beater speed would help in canola, or would it have trouble feeding the tine separatorsIJ