Tractors Which are the leading lawn tractors and riding mowers for 2012?

frank

As I write this in Spring 2012, it's interesting to speculate about the best lawn tractors and best riding lawn mowers for 2012.

Of course there are existing models that are still around this year and which will still represent great buys in their class. But, there are also some new models that have been or will be introduced by the leading manufacturers.

So it's worth thinking about these and how they are likely to rate amongst lawn tractor buyers.

I'll keep this page updated over the course of the year but, for now, I'll set out some selections in the various classes for you to consider.

Some of these are tried and tested familiar names and models. Some are the new entries.

I include the new entries here for your consideration, but you'll need to remember that there is less feedback about the new models available.

So in many respects when looking at these new models, you'll need to think about what you know about that manufacturer's reputation and the quality of the lawn tractors that it has put on the market before, as you make up your mind about what you see.

Best entry level lawn tractors for 2012

This is a really important sector of the market and the level of competition, measured by the number of models out there, should help the lawn tractor buyer by driving up standards and driving down prices.

That said, there is quite a spread in prices at this level.

At the lower end of the scale, I still like the Craftsman 42 inch 24hp V-Twin Briggs & Stratton Turn Tight Hydrostatic Yard Tractor.

You can usually get this for around $1700 from Sears (click the link for the latest price).

And you get a good deal of features for your money - hydrostatic drive, a 24 horsepower engine, a 6 inch turning radius thanks to Craftsman's tight turn technology and a 42 inch deck.

Overall, this is a great entry level bargain and a very well regarded lawn tractor.

It has had 78 user reviews on Sears' website and averages 4 out of 5 stars. To my mind that is pretty impressive.

A step-up of about $500 in price is the Husqvarna YTH23V48. This is a lawn tractor I rate pretty highly. So much so that I was recently trying to get my mother-in-law to buy one (for me to use, needless to say).
Best lawn tractor 2012? Husqvarna YTH23V48

I like the tough, no-nonsense simplicity of Husqvarna products and this lawn tractor fits that mould.

It has 23 a horsepower engine, a 48 inch deck and Tuff-Torq hydrostatic transmission. Our full review of the Husvarna YTH23V48 is here.

Finally, spread across the entry level range is the D100 Series of John Deere riding lawn mowers.

From the D100 with its 17.5 horsepower engine and 42 inch deck at around $1,500 to the 26 horsepower engine and 54 inch deck of the new D170 at around $2,800, the John Deere quality is hard to overlook.

Read more at http://www.lawn-tractor-buyers-guide.com/best-lawn-tractor-2012.html