Combines New R 72

agcoman

If you want the specs on the new R-72 i would suggest looking on agco's web site , they have a very good R model this year , not sure of the wheat specs though , the site is ...

larry

Bigsky my friend runs state side and said he thinks his next combines will be 4 wheel drive. As it gets pretty muddy down there at times.

tbran

The R72 is a whale of a choice, we have R72 and 62's with turret and std unloaders. Both work with 30' heads with no problem; don't see the extra 3' as being problematic. The turret is fine but adds height and be careful turning as with any turret type. It is optional. No plans as I know of for any major 2000 changes on the 72's. Maybe a little more umph and cooling for the 62's but not sure as to the final outcome...hmmm alittle more ummp and cooling and lets see, whats the diff between the 62 and 72IJ oh well I digress. Opt for the extended cyl bars and take a long look at the posts and upgrades on this site. RWA is a nice 10 grand addition but will add 'bout 6 grand to the resale. It also kind of gives one a "two speed" tranny w_o shifting gears. With RWA you run a gear higher and then turn on the rwa. When not harvesting and say heading out to the truck simply flip off, hmmm not a good phrase choice, turn off the RWA and you pick up 20 + % ground speed. The rwa does make the steering a bit less quick but no real problem. In muddy conditions with 300 bu in the tank- the difference is 100% though. Go vs no go. Also a BIG factor is the 72's been out a bunch of years and with exception of some odds and ends stuff there are no probable design flaws that have to reengineered as with the "first" of any new product.

tbran

R72 330 hp... can they stand 450IJ Well it depends on what is using the hp. If the cyl is comsuming all of the power somethings going to give or wear QUICK. If in wet ground and or hillside and this is taking off some the horses, yup thats a winner. I make no guarantee as to engine life though. I have found the gov. sensitivity is just as important as HP total. When things start to slow down the hp requirements go up exponentially. As to horse power required at the processor I have found that if 300 hp wont' get the stuff through -450 won't do much better. It has gotta flow smooooth. The posts at this site about this smooth flow are the ones to consider rather than screw up the HP to dangerous levels.

T__langan

I will second what tbran said about governor sensitivity! Our R52 was very sluggish compared to the 50 w_deutz engine we had. The Hyper fellers here suggested sending pump in for recalibration. Made 100+% difference!! We now have excess power - the good ol' Cummins won't budge when she encounters hills, mud, unloading on the go, ect. I cannot stress enough that turning the fuel delivery up is NOT the best cure for hp shortages on a combine. Tom l.

John

I don't know if the turret is longer than the other (and I say better) way. There is a company or two that make 3 ft extensions, and if using a 36' drapper I would look into it. Will you be getting the AGCO or MacDon drapper headerIJ For what you will be havesting, maybe you should look at the AGCO stripper header, though I don't know if they will cut canola or not, though I know they will work in wheat and barley. For a custom run, I would get R-2 tires and RWA both. The Deere rotor may turn out ok, but I'd let it get through it's harvest to see what problems they come up with, plus I don't figure there are very many Deere mechanics that know much about them yet.

Bigsky

I have not tried the 9750, but used to run an old N7 years ago. Most of the problems we had with it seem to be solved in the last 15 years. Up here in Canada, we have a lot of tough conditions, and the rotors just slow down bigtime. I guess what I have to weigh out, is what type of work I will be doing most of. Price and service are important. Very few dealers in Western Canada for the Gleaner.What is price of loaded R72,no trade your wayIJ

Bigsky

I know what you mean by the first of any new design. We had an 81 N7. Grief and more grief. Still leary on the Gleaner, although we put 2,800 hrs. on the 7. list of some problems we had. Alternater after alternater,broken spindles on rear,feeder chains constantly jumping cog, shearing bolts on cylinder gearbox,cage sweep plugging on sidehills, feeder housing plugging(no reverser),cables in concave breaking, trap door blowing open on minor slugs,chain wearing down on accelerator rolls every third day, seperater clutches,oddball belts that can't be bought at local wholesaler, running hot all the time even though clean,poor air condioning,oil leaks since day 1, and on and on.