Combines l2 engine temp and exhaust color

Ed_Boysun

The l2 always left an exhaust trail around the field. I don't believe it was a real Gleaner unless it smoked. I did have trouble with my l2 heating. I ended up changing the water pump _ fan pulley. It had worn so badly that the belts were bottoming and not getting enough traction to drive things. Ed in Montana

NDDan

I believe '82 or newer l2 or l3 had AMBac pump if you have largest engine (670T). I also believe l3s were out in '83. AMBac systems have very very reduced smoke levels if things are set right ect. If you have the medium to small engine (649I, 649T) it may well have Roosa Master. Allis didn't completely take care of smoke on them 649s until the very end where they put AMbacs on them also. Allis started to use American Bosch or Robert Bosch injectors in '80 on most engines which helped with smoke level in most cases. I don't think any of these machines had heating problems if things were clean and set right. Did heating or excess smokeing start after you got machineIJ Make 100% sure that timing is close. Double check to see TDC is right on when piston is on TDC (dampers pulleys have sliped). I will sometimes tweak timing a couple degrees advanced to reduce smoke but that will sometimes hurt the starting. Take number off of pump and be sure to match it with specs you are getting out of where ever. Allis Chalmers or Deutz Allis put out great bullitin with all the numbers and timing specs. Be sure water passages threw oil cooler are clear and open. Be sure injectors are proper number and replaced with new no matter how they test if they have 3000ish hours. Be sure injectors are installed with fuel return line toward rocker cover (not exhaust manifold). Be sure to be sure no plug has fell out of exhaust manifold or intake manifold as well as there gaskets are not blown. Might want to try different fuel for smoke level. I would go along with what Tbran said a while back (for each 1 PSI boost the A-C engine will be puting out 10HP). I would say your engine should run in the 180 degree range most all the time except the very hottest or hardest working times where you could be teasing the red line. Hope that helps

Tom_Russell

Dan, how do you determine if the crankshaft pulley damper has slippedIJ I recall having to replace one in an l2 (or maybe it was an l3) but I cant remember how we knew there was a problem. Is there excessive smoke or does the engine run rough, etc.IJ

NDDan

You can look at front surface of pulley. Most of the time there is an evident center punch or slot ground into both inner and outer hub which should line up with each other. Sometimes the outer hub will slip inward or outward on rubber which will bring belts out of align. If it slips to far in it can go threw front cover. Sometimes it will go off center and start to wobble. Pulley can slip any which way and not affect engine performance. What will get a guy is if pump was pulled without first checking timing. Sliped out damper will be discovered because timing is not what it is supposed to be. Otherwise you can check to see if marks are proper on pulley by putting n1 piston on TDC and then check that TDC mark on pulley is lined up with slash on front cover. You likely noticed that you needed to replace pulley because belts come off or pulley wore threw front engine cover. Catch you later

Silver_Bullet

The Factory Damper was found to be "made" wrong by my friend that works at a factory that makes dampers for all makes of engines. Factory damper has a rubber belt PRESSED in between the inner and outer parts of the damper. Correct way is to pour rubber in between inner and outer parts then put into an OVEN and cure the rubber (like a tire) I gave him my damper that was slipping in to the cover and he put it together RIGHT! even rolled new timing marks on it. He considered contacting the factory to make replacement parts. Got another slipped pulley from a dealer and he redid that one too!! Seen tractors (7040) with slipped dampers now that I've been looking. Something to watch for!!