Combines How to lower series 8000 head IJ

kernal

Some operators are installing guards upside down and this allows you to tip cutterbar back up to prevent stone picking. We have found the front curve on skid plates push soil ahead of plate and allow soil to plug back of guards even after adjusting springs to reduce soil contact pressure.We have changed the skid shoes and poly plates.This is a major modification and Agco has knows what we have done.We are in Ontario Canada and they feel are problem will light soil and short beans does not justify a skid shoe redesign.They are probably coming with a redesigned system of their own.What is your email addressIJ I can send some pictures or our chages. We have changed 4 headers and they work well.I like the new skid plates on the new john deere flex head and may try them later.They would sure be flexible.Would need to change parallel linkage brackets and probably keep wobble box skid plate.

big_orange

IMO Agco needs to marry the series 3 headers and the 800-8000's.Had a series 3 and it would shave the ground and flex,the 800 I have now doesn't do as well,but the reel and auger are pluses.The 800 is almost engineered to the point of being too heavy,the weight makes it loose it's flex.

R_O_M

In Oz we have a manufacturer of short, 6-8 inch long plastic pick-up lifters that clip onto the cutter bar guards and lift the crop right at ground level. They have a 2 inch high rooster tail over the knife to raise the material well above the knife. They work very well in the appropiate conditions and will make a very clean job. I have never seen any reference to lifters on this site but they may be worth a look at if there is nothing equivalent in the US which would surprise me. Cheers!

Brian

I sure would like to see the pictures and get more info. I specifically would like to get a closer cut on left hand side near wobble box. Brian

dwilken

ROM, This is interesting. I came on this evening with the thought of asking about lifters, since, like you haven't seen much discussion on the matter. Would you be willing to send me the address and phone n of the manufacturer of the lifter you spoke of. This year I was "just" able to get low enough.

R_O_M

dwilken! Got the web address for the crop lifter manufacturers that I mentioned. http:__www.primarysales.com.au_harvestproducts.html Most of us in this area have a set of their guards [ often called "fingers" in OZ.] where we have cut every second guard down with a cut off wheel to give a "no-choke" type guard for our generally heavier crops in this area, that is if it ever rains again around these parts!. The "Adapta Gaps" work very well in some situations and can save a power of grain. In other situations they simply don't make much difference. In light crops,ie 1 to 2 tonnes_hectare [ 15 to 30 bushels_ acre] such as is found over large areas of the Aussie wheat belt, they are excellent. The yellow plastic lifters work extremely well in lodged crops. They can also be fed through the machine with out causing any damage. It only takes 10 minutes to put on or remove the plastic lifters or to vary their spacings on a 30 foot front. You do need the special knife guards to mount the plastic bits. Cheers!