Combines front feeder chain

Jeremy

We weren't impressed with aftermarket chains we tried in one of the N6's during harvest. I can't recall the brand, but the AGCO chain_bars were much more aggressive at feeding. The aftermarket setup just didn't yank the crop in like it should have.

Tom_Russell

I have no experience with comparing chain but I would offer this bit of advice. Make sure all mounting hardware is loose before installing the chain and dont tighten until after you roll the chain a few revolutions. This allows the chain to fit your machine better and will reduce jumping off sprockets later. Tom in MN

t_leslie

make sure comparing apples to apples......AGCO has gone to a ca557 chain...the old one was a ca550 chain,,,,,the ca557 is much heaver.. just ask you agco dealer for ca550 conector and a ca557 connector and you will agree it is alot heaver chain......I don't think you can buy a ca550 assy from agco any more...all the part n's superced to the ca557...however you can buy just the ca 550 chain an put you slats on it, it comes ready to bolt on..... most of the after market people are selling ca550 chains and most are imports at that so you can see why they are so cheap......you'll have to decide if the ca557 is worth the extra$$$..I think they went to ca557 becasue all the custom harvesters wanted a chain that would last 100 years or something like that.....

RADA

Spending the extra money now will be well worth it in the long run. Tleslie is correct that the lighter duty chain is no longer available from AGCO. Our exprience with the heavier chain is very positive, the crop does seem to feed better and the wear is much better than with the lighter duty chains. Todd

The_Red

I finally caught up on your excellent commentary and the great digital pictures. That hilly scenery is spectacular! Between the two combines, how many acres of wheat did you cutIJ

Dan

We use OEM chains and I can tell you the new 557 chain can take a licken and keep on ticken. We use the replacable chain sections on the old machines if the slats will make it another time around. Maybe just square up rounded off edge on the worn slats. Now to reduce the stress and strain on that chain. Install feeder shock kit. Get rid of square corners inside feeder on both the left and right side, I fill in with liquid steel or weld in a iron filler piece to taper off the square corner. Replace hex head bolts that are being rubbed with straw with pan head, use torques head bolts that are used all over the headers. I have removed the false floor and run a 12"x 39" x 3_16" piece of iron from bottom of square tube to a point that will just clear the top run of front feed chain. I lay a similiar piece from the top of square tube to prevent a pile of chaff in the valley that was created. R40 and 50's should have a 2"x4"x3_16" piece of tubing welded to the rear surface of that square tube for the sprockets are to far from existing square tube and material can build up there. Now for the simplest fix for jumping or pluging front feed chains. Weld a piece of 3_8"x11" keystock to the top side of slat centered inbetween the chain sections. The keystock will clear the tention drum just fine as it comes around. We weld to two slats on the single slat chains half way around from each other and four locations on double slat chains half way around from each other. As the keystock comes around it clears the material that has puckered up threw the slats and builds in front of square tube. When material is allowed to build in front of the tube it will build and build until all of a sudden it will let loose and jump the chain or stall it. I've been getting some very good reports from the keystock trick. Good luck to you.

Jeremy

Right around 1600 acres of wheat, and about 100 acres of mustard. My friends finished the garbonzo's after I went back to work (at my "regular" job.)

chad

The loewen chain does really well. They also have the CA557 with a choice of chrome pins if you want.

vstk

hello. i think you will be alot happier with the agco chain. they last longer and will outfeed any of the after market chains i have seen run. do yourself a favor and remember to replace sprockets and chains as a pair. it will prolong both of their life. i have seen lots of things tried but this combination of agco parts will be pretty trouble free. have seen lots of %$^*n$and*( with after market parts. good luck VSTK

vstk

hello. i think you will be alot happier with the agco chain. they last longer and will outfeed any of the after market chains i have seen run. do yourself a favor and remember to replace sprockets and chains as a pair. it will prolong both of their life. i have seen lots of things tried but this combination of agco parts will be pretty trouble free. have seen lots of %$^*n$and*( with after market parts. good luck VSTK