Combines N 7 engine belts

Rig

I took the damper off and it is a lot different than I had thought. It is opposite of automotive applications in that the damper bolts to the belt pulley. I don't know if this is the problem anymore since I thought that that maybe I had pulley wobble because of a defective damper. It is still listed as a possible cause of belt problems but would be a $800 experiment. I am not sure I have $800 of wheat to cut. Wheat price is justified if this area is any indication of the total crop. Rig

Gpurrs

Ive seen a few 8070s with bad balancers,the fluid filled kind.The first sign was belts comming off for no obvious reason.The next thing is the awfull sound comming from an engine with a broken crankshaft.We didnt have many N7s out,so I cant tell you how likely it is for your engine.

Rig

I decided to replace the damper. Picked it up this evening. It is liquid filled. This is suspicious enough about the belts that maybe it is worth the money to protect the motor. Hard to believe that there is enough vibration to make belts jump but a number of people in the industry have told me to do this. Maybe should try it without a damper, period. Bad damper cause more vibrationIJ

Rig

The new damper seems to have fixed the problem. We have not cut any wheat but engine has logged a few hours since changing it. One of the wierder fixes that I have seen. Can't imagine what stresses that old damper was putting on that engine. Nothing like talking to yourself on the internet.

NDDan

Had one of these 685 engines lose a damper just like yours. Many more of same style damper on next smaller A-C engine have failed causing exact same problem. You did the right thing to replace before crank broke. This has happened on smaller engine!!!