Combines Power steering problem with M 2

tbran

check flow divider in pump. First oil goes to PS. Do you have manual steeeringIJ If so it goes back to no flow from pump. If no manual steering and pressure is ok it is the steering motor probably. Very rare for this system to fail. Again First thing I would do is flow rate pump steering system if you have manual steering.

pilotfarmer

I can steer the combine when the machine is moving. Otherwise just sitting I can turn the steering wheel with alot of force and the steering wheel jerks back and forth somewhat. When turning the wheel slow it's not as bad. I'm not sure if it acts truely like manual steering. Thanks again for your help.

pilotfarmer

Should I hook up a pressure gauge to the line from hydraulic pump that goes to the power steering control valveIJ Would you suggest polishing the flow divider spool with emery clothIJ

tbran

no, it would have to be t'd in. can not dead head oil. you should be able to hear the engine load when turning the steering wheel as it builds pressure. yes polish the flow divder, if it is the problem it should be stuck. did you say all other functions workIJ

pilotfarmer

Yes all other hydraulics work ok. I can steer the combine when the machine is moving. Otherwise just sitting I can turn the steering wheel with alot of force and the steering wheel jerks back and forth somewhat. When turning the wheel slow it's not as bad. I'm not sure if it acts truely like manual steering. Thanks again for your help.

tbran

in that case I would suspect low pressure - check relief pressure - possible bad steering motor for kick back problem un less cavitation exists.

pilotfarmer

Thank you!!!!!!! tbran I got the M2 power steering fixed. Just like you said it could be the pressure relief valve. The poppet valve on the hydraulic pump was broken. I would like to send you a picture of the broken valve by email or on this web site if I could.