Combines Steep pitch Reg pitch helical setup

calvin

Forget about the steep pitch if you do lots of corn and especialy if you have a CDF rotor. Having all kinds of trouble wtih steep pitch and CDF. Rotor loss and busted up cobs. Wish i had never put them in. Did not work for me. Was better with stock helicals. Maybe it will work for you.

Rolf

Tom Send me your Email and I will send you what I have a of Steep pitch over Thresher and normal over Sep end. Rolf rshedt "at" Bordernet.com.au

Rolf

Arrr Crap! didn't read your post as good as I should! will send them in the next 24 hours!! Rolf

tbran

leave the first helical on the right as is, but shorten it on the back side so as to install a steep pitch helical in the origional n1 rh position. This will allow the first helical to line up with the helical extention you will put in or is already in. (the triangle piece and short helical installed in the upper lh corner of the infeed area.) Then remove the other non steep pitch helicals on the thresher and add steep pitch ones. Three long and one short will get the job done. Where the steep helicals meet the regular ones is where the cuts will need to be made to allow them to transition. It is just like the old P1 N series with the line up kit. the post below refers to cob break up. That is a possibility. We have found this to be variety related. Some varieties have great yield, but low cob strength. We have run steep pitch in white corn with CDF rotors and got premium, which is hard to do.( have a head to head STS story to tell later) The increase in capacity is mainly in green stem soybeans. We think 10 to 20 % because of reduced 'second pass threshing' which results because the material is moved to the left much quicker. We still run cyl clearace at compressed cob diameter, move the separator grate up 1 to two marks ( this is where we find the cob break up to be with the CDF rotor) to origional clearence of regular rotor. This is the same set up we are using with the Bison rotor one of our customers is using beside the CDF. He likes both. The Bison has much more capacity in green stem beans and wheat. The customer thoght we might have some issues in corn, but we think we have this worked out successfully. The solutuion may have dividends for other rotors as well. More on this later. Dan is working on evaluations.

T__langan

Thanks tbran. I found an old post where you had explained this to someone and tried to explain it to the dealer we're trading with (they are replacing helicals anyhow, so we figured we'd have them set it up the way we wanted),but he seemed a bit confused. Told him I'd try to find a pic somewhere and email it to him so he could see for himself. I know you sent me a pic at one time - that I never seem to get added to the Hyper Mod site - but I can't find it for the life of me. I agree with you about the cob breakup problem. Much more related to hybrid than anything. We've ran into some hybrids that it didn't seem to make any difference what was tried. leave that field, start on the next one and roll out whole cobs. I can't help but think the steep pitch helicals would be more benefitial in these situations than not.

tbran

I try to always state what works for us, and every situation is different. One key to getting cobs out of the bin is screen setting. I posted this before, but run the top screen as close as possible - sq end deep tooth if possible- but on the long shoe machines we are suprised how low we can run the top chaffer, then run the sieve - bottom screen the same or wider, it works in some conditions. We tried to run the lower sieve really tight for years in order to keep the cob out. Found out that when loaded with corn it was blocking off the air to the chaffer. We have customers who have taken the two levers - or added an adjustment lever to control the front set of louvers on the chaffer and made controls for the front louvers and either opened the first 5-7 lovers or closed them with reports of success in either cleaner sample or increased capacity. The drier the corn the more capacity and less cob in general. There also used to be a slotted screeens available for corn on some models and in years gone by - maybe it was Hyper that had these for sale modified to fit the R62'sIJ. These screens resulted in almost seeed cleaner clean crops. We still sell a few bean screens and the results are impessive. However keep in mind, if one has 300 n's of cob_foreign matter in a semi load and is NOT getting doc'd for it - it is money in your pocket.