Combines how are the bison rotors workingIJ

NDDan

I think if you wait a month or two you will get some operators to comment. Most guys will have first full season threw them then. I'll say most guys are thrilled with them in crops ranging from the lightest grass to beans. Only crop inbetween the guys would like to see better job in is the wheat that is so hard to knock out that it takes a chopper. Gleaner eight bar with narrow rasps and recycling half of the feed right back over concave would have a hard time with this stuff. We would like to do as well in corn as other crops. We want to do this with minimum changes between crops. We want to do just as we'll at 10% moisture as 30%. We also want to do just as well with a 6 row head in 100 bushel yield as we do with 12 row in 240 bushel. We have found that using some of the same tricks as used with other rotor setups will get us in the 1_2%+- of yield range most of the time. We are working on something I hope to be better. Power consumption is down with this rotor, fuel use is down, crop loss is most often down, crop condition very good. I prefer the guys set up the rotor cages just as I suggest for any other rotor. I like the high wide thresher concaves for all crops, I like the steep pitch thresher helicals (1st one starts at gearbox wall and ends up dumping onto helical that goes across feeder opening, 2nd one starts one hole closer to discharge than where original 2nd helical started, 3rd one starts two holes closer to discharge than original 3rd helical did and so on until you used 4 long and 1 medium length steep pitch helicals). I add the gap between helicals because when you lay them flatter they get closer together and I like to preserve the gap between them for corn cobs to roll. I like the high wide wire seperator grate for all crops and prefer even higher wires for most crops. Straw chopper must be in good condition with lots of suction to handle mega flow. We streamline chopper floors to prevent material from snagging just before chopper rotor also. One example I could give you of a guy that runs his Bison equiped R75 next to his R72 with Gleaner eight bar with all forward bars and set of my sweeps. Bison runs a MPH faster (usually 4.5) with 36 ft and sweep machine pushes a 30ft. This is in 120 bu wheat. Volunteer wheat behind Bison is nearly non existant and a little green behind sweep machine. This guy runs 120 bu oats and some barley as well. This guy has feeder floor job done and machines set up just as perscribed with a couple of his own tweaks. I'm reluctant to even report some of his results for then anyone will think they can do the same. This guy understands a combine and is willing to do just about anything to make it better. Sorry so long but now I have to go.

R_O_M

Dan, with info like that, you will never be too long! Thank you. Max.

sidekick

Dan;Please don't hesitate to make long posts.Always interesting and I learn something important.

snipe

Dan would you run this same helical setup for other cropsIJ I do not grow corn or soy beans just about everything else i grow, I live in the northern praires

NDDan

Yes this is helical setup I like the best for all crops as of this time. That is with any of the 25" cylinders. I do not know about the 24" CDF for I have left the ones I've been around bone stock. I like the steep helicals and will try about anything to keep them in place because I want the material comeing from feeder to be perfectly even accross the concave. With out the steep pitch the material has no choice but to double load part of the concave. I like the width of feeder which matches concave perfectly so we get very uniform thresh no matter what the crop or condition. Once we have maintained the uniform feed across concave we have achieved exactly what conventional combines have did for decades. Now with the Natural Flow Gleaner the centrifical force seperation can take over the job of the old seperator beaters and walkers of the old days. I believe preventing the double thresh also dramatically reduces load on the very compact and effective cleaning system in many crops and conditions. I think we need to try ignore what the other colors have to do with their design for the Gleaner Natural Flow is truely unique. I'm only tring to make the Natural flow a bit more natural and it's becoming evident that size does not always matter it is more like how well you use the size you have. Have a good one!!!!

Marshaltown_Farms

Have run the new bison in some 23 % corn and am working with Dan to get the loss to a minimum. It is as good or better that anything I have ever run. When it comes to soybeans it is hands down the best setup I have seen. Am able to run cylinder speeds faster than 8 bar to knock out hole pods and handle any feeding problems better.