Combines Fuel tank crud BiodieselIJ

R_O_M

Sounds like you have a Algae problem in your fuel. Apparently there are somewhere around 100 known bugs, bacteria, fungi and who knows what else that can and do live on diesel fuel or components of diesel fuel. Getting rid of the sulphur in diesel fuel has worsened the problem. Apparently also you can get an infection, for the want of a better word, in your fuel from just one contaminated fuel hose pour. Check this out as there are tests for algae contamination in fuels.

Irv

last spring we had a problem similar to yours with our NEW NH 4wd. Dealer came up with a few cans of CNH stuff for the purpose of killing the algae. We were never positive what the problem was: algae or looseing whatever was in the tank from manufacturing, but it worked. CNH ships tractors with biodiesel, and maybe this was a factor, but maybe it was something left in the tank. In any case, I'd get some filters, and try their treatment. Irv

ohio_farm_boy

Get a product called BIOBOR JF for algae. It works wonders on algae, also get a couple filters even after you treat it , it will still plug a filter for a short time.Steaming tank out or washing it out won't kill the algae.

tbran

weird things happen with biodiesel. We had a customer with new combine and it took and still takes a filter a week. His tractor runs fine. His neighbor has a combine that runs fine and his tractor goes through filters at the weekly rate. Go figure. Same diesel supplier.

Have had the same problem with some of my tractors. As near as we can tell we got a bad batch of biodiesel (we think it was animal fat, not soybean oil). Had to take the fuel tank off of a tractor and clean it out with laquer thinner as it was plugging the fuel line. If your problem is not this bad, my advice is to plumb a tank filter (like what's on your diesel tank at home) in the fuel line between the tank and motor, and clean your tank later. These filters are cheap and will screen out the bigger stuff and save you having to buy so many of the expensive filters on the motor. Have done this on a couple of tractors. A friend of mine teaches diesel mechanics at a college, and he is recommending that at the end of the year before storing your tractors and combines for the winter that you run your tank low of the soydiesel and fill up with regular diesel. Then switch back to the soydiesel next spring. Soydiesel doesn't store very well for long periods (what does our combine do for most of the yearIJ).

riceman

Your fuel supplier should carry it. Comes in metal 5 gallon cans but it is measured out in ounces per 1,000 gallons of fuel. Doesn't take much. You might have to treat some of the bad tanks more than once though. We've had to use it before and it does work. http:__www.hammondscos.com_index.asp look for a distributor in your area.