Combines Broken clean grain auger

R_O_M

Yes! broke it near the lH end. Heard the bang when it broke and spent 20 minutes or more trying to figure out what it was. Could'nt find any problems. Machine ran OK so went back harvesting. A couple of days later walking past the machine when it was ticking over for the day's pre start inspection when I spotted the shaft was not turning on the lH side. Fortunately no damage. We now have the auger mounted on a pipe through which the shaft runs. No welds on the shaft to fatigue that way.

Brian

Got any pics of that set-upIJ That sounds like a good idea!! We break that one every so often.

kos8mo

Gonna cost me $340 Canadian for new one and the one I repaired will be a spare I guess. I did 20 acres with the repaired one before getting rained out but I don:t know if it will last another 2 days or 20 years. I just cannot understand why that shaft would break.

93aRRRgh_52

yep seems to be common, when I had it happen the guy running combine didn't notice it and filled the shoe with corn and ran it around the field awhile before noticing the tank wasn't filling like usual. I don't think that shaft is monitoredIJ The only way he could have caught it sooner is if he would have noticed the yield monitor had defaulted to aveerage yield. Not a dificult fix, drill out the pop rivits on side of clean grain elevator to get it out and back in.

kos8mo

Actually on my 96 R52 it comes out the other side. They put a hole there and bolted a plate to hold bearing. Agco must have known there was a problem and decided to make it easy to get the broken one out and another one in. My service manual though still says to remove clean grain boot but that is not necessary.

kos8mo

Can anyone tell me which shaft is the next to breakIJ I have heard rumours that the clean grain is just the first to go.

hunter

99R62 broke at 850 hrsIJ 93aRRRgh-52 where did you get a service manualIJ What would one costIJ Is there any place on line to look up how to repair GleanersIJ Thanks!!

93aRRRgh_52

What service manualIJ The only service manual I have have is a cell phone.

kos8mo

I bought the service manual in 1996 when I bought the combine. I believe it was only like 80 or 100 bucks. You probably cant touch it for that price now.

IowaDan

I had my Agco dealer order my service manual for my R42 but I don't remember what it cost.