Combines cornheads with choppers on them

oldstruck

If I may, Think about this, are you wanting to keep your wheel tracks on the same tracks you travel with your other equipmentIJ I have asked two different companies about thier chopping head. It seems they are only thinking to sell to Green and Red machines. Neither company had a set up to accomdate the offset to one side that our Gleaners have for the feeder housing. In fact at the farm show I went to I asked the rep for one company about his head and he was all excited, that I had an interest in it, then he asked me what brand of machine we ran, and I said a Gleaner. His reaction was, uhm oh, I said was there a problem with thatIJ He was not even sure if they had plans for their head to be on one. So I kind of walked away. I remember it was a yellow color, they did have a nice feature with theirs, that you can add or remove choppers fairly easily. Honestly, if there was an aftermarket company the can make snapping rollers that have the knives meet instead of interlace for our Gleaner heads, you would be surprised how well that will process the stocks. The other thing I got to considering with those chopper heads was, WEIGHT!!!! Think about this. How much weight can your final drives handleIJ A big heavy head with the choppers under it, and an extra grain bin extention full of wet cornIJ Just some thoughts.

Harvester

There is an aftermarket option for the type of rolls of which you speak. They're called a Pix-all roll and there is a recently released bulletin from AGCO regarding fitting them to the Hugger head for chopping stalks. Seems this has been tested and approved and is made for sale through AGCO Parts at the present time. Might be worth looking into. As for other chopping heads, yes they take power! Many take at least twice as much power per row as a conventional corn head. Some of these heads are good and I've seen others look good at farm shows but have poor reliability in the field.

grinder

Have had the same Pix-all rolls on JD Head for 20 years. They're chromed. Been thru deck plates and numerous chains and sprockets and rolls still work and look close to new. They don't chop the stalks as much as I had hoped but more of a conditioning. They are aggressive and pick nice. The same JD Head has been on my M2, N5,and now R52.

dairyfarmer

the things you mentioned i have noticed or crossed my mind thanks for your opinion dairyfarmer

dairyfarmer

never thought of the pixall rolls bt that is nice to know thanks dairyfarmer

dairyfarmer

thanks for posting about the pixall rolls dairyfarmer

venturis40

many gleaners with geringhoff's in the dakotas and west central minnesota