Combines F2 Variable Ground Speed Drive

kooch

I have an F2 also and it is the same as you describe. This is supposedly typical of the F2's. Other owner have had the same results. Maybe Tbran can shed some light on this.

sidekick

The spring can has a cam drive feature outside the spring which has to have plenty of grease to keep the ramps lubbed.Be sure to grease it plenty and often.Mine worked much better after putting rebuild kit in hyd pump.Also the linkage that works valve is not a good design in my opinion.Difficult to adjust for proper movement and hard to get at.The lift and variable work off same linkage pieces.Be sure you are getting full stroke at valve when lever is max fwd.

tbran

as suggested, make sure it is gettting a full stroke on the valve spool. Probably so, if it is then go to the spool slice that controls the variable speed. Remove the relief valve - the one with the screwdriver slot plug facing the front of the combine. Take to a vice and you problably will have to apply a lITTlE heat to break locktite - it has a plastic poppet inside be careful - and turn the screw out to inspect poppet and spring - REMEMBER the n of turns it took to take out - reinstall and turn in 1.5 turns more. This should now give you about 100 more psi onthe cylinder. I have switched these with the reel speed plug in the field as they are the same and it helps sometimes.