Combines 1293 corn head

greenman

Try putting paddles on the gathering chains. part No. H209897 and H209898 Right and left. Also you can roughen up the end of the auger fliting to make it grab because it gets smooth and rounded. This will help for awhile. It doesn't take much. Hope this helps. The paddles help alot, I have them on all my rows. You could possibly get by on every other paddle.

dakota

I have put the paddles on, too this fall. However the old style plastic paddles work much better than the new style metal pedals, because the metal gets to slick. Another thing we have done is putting a wedge kit in. It goes in between the feederhouse and the cornhead. It bolts to the cornhead. It changes the angle of the cornhead so that the trash doesn't have to climb up quite as steep. I was able to purchase a used wedge kit from a dealer for about $160. The new 2004 cornheads for the 60 series are build in a lesser angle already.

greenman

Dakota, how long did your plastic paddels lastIJ Mine wore out in about 500 acers. The steel have 4000 acers and look like new. I agree the plastic were a little more agressive. I have a wedge kit for sale.

dakota

The plastic paddles sure look worn after one season. But I hope to manufacture those ourselves out of a big sheet of poly on the table saw. I might be interested in your wedge kit. I just learned tonight there are different sizes of wedges. How big is yoursIJ Where are you locatedIJ

Steve

Corn reels work well for this condition. Would be easy to mount a 2 row unit on head instead of dealing with a complete unit. Also, Calmer Ag Research offers a gathering chain slow down sprocket to help with this problem.

greenman

Dakota Do you think with the paddles on the corn has a tendency to shell more at the head because the ear is coming down on the paddleIJ I found out if I have my paddles on, it keeps the ears out of the area of the roller and does a better job of chopping up the stalks and pulling the stalk back further back in the roller. I have knife rolls and go a fast speed. I am from south central Minnesota. The wedge kit was on my 8 row head with a 9610. It did help with it plugging to keep the head flatter but I think the paddles helped a lot more. Together they both work really well.

JimCenMO

I had the same problem on our 1243,take your very center rubber paddles and turn them around so the bend in the paddles is like a scoop. This will make them more aggressive and they wont bend as easy. If your in doubt,turn one side around and then try it ,you wont believe the difference it makes.Thats what I done on ours and then immediately done both sides,had no problems the rest of the year. Will not throw ears if you have a hood over the auger which you should have.

Gene9750

The wedge kit will help the most. I use to run with just two old paddles on a 1293 with a wedge kit, on a 9750.

j

Well, we tried paddles on all the rows, we also tried reversing the chains. Then we talked to the guys at Calmer's, bought their 5 tooth drive sprockets and chains, put all 24 of them on one morning, and never combined corn as clean as we did this fall. NOT ONCE did we see the buildup of trash like before, even in those dry afternoons when everyone else was having troubles. Our 1293 has three seasons on it now, a neighbor just purchased a new 1293 for this season, and had the guys at the Deere dealership put Calmer's stuff on it before he even took delivery. Money well spent. www.calmercornheads.com I think is their site. My $0.02 Hank

Dave_EC_IN

I agree that the 5 tooth gear works well, but we still had some buildup in certain hybrids where the top would fall out. I also like Calmers deck plates seemed to almost eliminate head shelling. I would recommend the Calmers kit to anyone.