Combines Hugger stalk roll spiral removal

MN_Dean

Hold a heavy chunk of steel on the opposite side of the roll to keep it from flexing away from the air chisel. Make sure you have a top quality air chisel. My first one wasn't nasty enough. Even then you will have a couple you will have to torch away part of the roll to get them to move. Hope this helps.

mailman13

I did end up getting all the pins out with my air hammer. It is a CP RP9315, so not real cheap hammer, about $100. It is only 2300 bpm and has a 3 1_2 inch stroke, so much better than that those vibrating $10 specials from the farm store(I have 2 of those too). I used a rivet set end on the hammer to get the pins moving then switched to a 5_16 or so pin punch tip I made by grinding down a cheap punch that came with one of the $10 specials. Just have to make sure you are driving the pins opposite way they went in. Did not have to use the torch at all once I got the right tips made for my air hammer. Also used the rivet set tip to install the new pins , which works well because the domed head helps keep the punch from sliding off while installing. Used the air hammer with a normal punch end to walk the old spirals of the shaft too. I recommend a good air hammer to all of you. lots easier and safer than swinging the big hammer.

Kevin_Alabama

Guess it was just good luck, but I got all 16 of mine out with a 3 pound hammer and a punch.