Combines ahhc trouble

Hyper_Harvest_II

Sounds like an electrical issue. You mention the connector is in poor shape. You should have three white wires, one with a brown tracer(high),one with a green tracer(medium),and one with a orange tracer(low). Then there should be a blue wire which sends a raise signal back to AHHC and then there should be two red wires with gray tracers that send lower signal back to AHHC. Sounds like some wires might be touching each other in connector or there could be something wrong down at controller on head where three springs are located. Make sure return spring is not broke or missing. Don't know if this is a 20ft. head or not but if it is a 20ft. you may have a controller on each end of header that you need to check. You should be able to reach under cutterbar(Check with combine shut off!) and raise first finger up against feather sheet and the bottom spring should just touch front bar on controller. The valve that you adjusted by mistake I assume is further back in valve stack and takes a 9_16" wrenchIJ If so this valve is the pressure reducing valve and supplies low pressure oil to sep. clutch,cylinder variable speed,and header variable speed. The only way to know where this valve needs to be set is by installing pressure gauge at back of valve stack. Hopefully you didn't screw in or out too far from where it was. Hyper Harvest II

NEBRASKA_GlEANER

Thanks very much for the info HH2. I will redo the wiring harness and see what I have wrong. I will also try and make sure the valve (the one with the 9_16 wrench) is back to where it was before I messed with it.

NDDan

You can get new plug to hold the AHHC wires. let me know if you need P_N. I had poor connection at two of the six wires on a header the other day. I suspected to find wires that bend when switch is moving all day but it was the crimp on two of the wires at plug. We replaced all six ends beings we had two bad one. We opted to solder on the connections beings the crimped ends were able to corrode and develop bad connection. We found this with ohm meter between wires at plug to the wires at switch. Valve you adjusted makes up the oil the hydro needs when steering hard or hydro needs more oil. Thus it is set approx 50PSI less than hydro charge relief valve in hydro. If you lose hydro when steering hard you have backed screw off to far. If it is in to far it will pump more oil than necesary. I believe this valve is usually operating because the 5.5Gal from steering that charges hydro is usually some short. This is why I wouldn't worry to much if hydro don't stall when turning and you believe you have it close to original setting. I think it would still be best to have someone that knows what there doing to check pressure sometime. Nice thing about machines a couple years newer than yours they took the oil that went over power steering relief and directed it to hydro charge hose. This made it much less fussy on the operation of pressure reducing valve. The guy that designed the hydralic system on them old N series surely had conserving energy on his mind. State of the art for the time.