Combines bin extensions on r40

T__langan

They should fit fine as the bin dimensions are the same. Whether the holes are there to bolt them up or not, I don't know - but that shouldn't be a difficult problem to resolve.

tbran

correct, however remember the bin loading 'bubble up' auger must be lenghtened or changed out to the longer R50-52 style or it will really load up the drive hp requirement.

dairyfarmer

how much longer is the bubble up in the 50 over the 40 i think this 40 might have the longer one in it already it sticks up pretty high i think for no extensions on it and if it is real close will i really lose that much hp tbran dairyfarmer

oldstruck

Evening, I woke up again, to more wetness. Standing pat here east of lincoln. The R50 extensions should rivit right on. When we got our R42, it did not have extentions. I did go to a ACGO dealer auction, (changed owners) that same month. They had several sets of extensions on pallets that sold. I boughta set of the shorter looking ones that were galavanized, thinking hey I will just cut them up a bit to help hold what would slide to the side on terraces. Well after a couple days of pushing grain back in the tank. I took a tape measure to see what I needed. Well low and behold the measurements of these extensions were the same as the tank of the combine! I grabbed an able body and we sat one side up on the combine. Well I will be! the holes for the rivits matched up with the ones on top of the tank edge! I grabbed a pop rivit gun and 3_16 dia rivitsIJ WE had the extensions on in less than 1 hour. The support rods were in the set I bought. I had to make the corner pins. NO HOlES HAD TO BE DRIllED! This extension set was from a R50 (18" tall) we have an R42 painted. It looks ok, other than my bid number in paint stick is still on the extention where you can see it! NOTE, There were extra "wings" front and back 6" tall on top of these extensions that I took off the extensions. I did not use them. We can hold about 220 corn in the tank. I know this from the scales on the grain cart. I did adjust the bubble up auger to the high setting as the service book showed. Best $25 I spent on this machine, so far. well ok, $3 in rivits, also. I would not recommend filling the combine to the brim all the time on the R40_42 due to they have the standard final drives and smaller rear axle. I use them more for keeping things in! ONE FINAl NOTE! There are 12" extensions also I have seen. There must have been a tank capacity size change at some point during the R50 era. The screen "windows" tipped me off to this change. Ours, 18" are verticle, the 12" are horizontal. I hope this info helps.

dairyfarmer

thanks the set i found is on a burnt r50 i think it is the taller ones if they will work i am going ot buy them and use them mainly want it for having enough room on opening fields up and in relly good corn and on my one filed i have 60 acre lengths with no place to dump decently in the middle of the field when wet i will probably bolt them on instead of rivet cus i hate poprivets for the reason of when you want to take it back off i new the finals were lighter on the 40 than the 50 is there a way to check this 40 has rwa which is making me wander if the front finals are maybe the heavier ones thanks again i just cant wait to run it if it ever dries up round here dairyfarmer

oldstruck

Hi Dairyfarmer. I think I figured a couple things out, looking at some older brochures I have. The 12" extenstions are R50IJ the 18" I have are R52IJ. The bolt_pop rivit holes should be the same on any R40-42 and R50-52. All the dimensions are the same in the service book. Just make sure you get all the prop rod support pieces, and corner pins. You may have to take a drill, I would assume the ones you are going to get are pop rivited onIJ As far as final drives. there was a topic issue on this a year or so ago here. 29 on the stamp plate on the final drive is the standard, 37 on the stamp is the heavy duty. That is what I remember being said. If I have this backwards, some one yell at me. I am glad I helped! I hope harvest will go well for all of us! And one safe also!

dairyfarmer

thanks i will be spending a little more than $25 for mine and i have to take them off also but i think everthing is there for it i will probably cut beans as is got the combine at a dealer now getting the electrical issues resolved and then i am going to have them look it over completely so i hope to have a trouble free harvest but you know how that goes i am going to get the ole f2 runnin also ans maybe run a day or so with both machines i will take everthing off this burnt unit that has to go with it the bubblke up in mine i think is in the highest possible position cus it is almost straight up i ned to get my books and look at them the dealer it came from didnt have them yet but he is getting them for me i think the ones i am getting are only 12" extensions that will make the hopper hold a little over 200 i think which will be fine for me i will look at the final drive numbers later dairyfarmer