Combines Feeding problems N6 and 327 rigid head

bucko

Hi jbull, There are a couple of hints on the hypermods site that may help (under "headers"). Also, I have had fitted by the previous owner of my N6 an extra stripper which is not on the hypermods site, but is a known mod (refer NDDAN). I have heard of putting a vertical extension wall across the top of the feeder and extending both sides so that this wrapping does not feed over the back of the header. There is also mods for the feeder chains and pulleys on the hypermods site, but I am not sure if they are what you are after.

NDDan

Fastening an extra stripper in front of existing strippers is the best thing to do. I would use 1.5" x 1.2" channel iron in the row of rivets just ahead of existing front striper. There is a row of rivets about 6" ahead of front stripper. Raise the auger, chisel the rivets off, lay channel iron in there to mark holes, drill holes in channel, and resecure with the same self taping bolts used in transition area between auger and feed chain. Start channel a foot or so from outside and stop just ahead of the opening into feeder. Then set auger back down and back as far as posible but not so close it hits when starting cold when the auger is warped from being hot on top side exposed to sun and cold on bottom in the shade. Strippers should be in place to bring straw beyond side of feeder slats thus this is narrowing feeder by a few inches and prevents straw from getting behind the slat. Feed chain should be as far as posible ahead but not able to contact the vertical stippers as chain self tensions forward. You can sharpen slats with grinder if you wish. Rear chain should be just as sharp or sharper than front.

jbull

Dan, are you talking about all the strippers or just the one in the bottom of the headerIJ Thanks JBull

jbull

Meant to say should all the strippers be extended slightly into the feeder area or just the one in the bottom of the header. Thanks, JBull