Combines Deutz diesels in R series

mn

I have one 3500 hours still runs strong. I like it might not know any better.

Kaye2

Is yours in a 50 or a 60IJ Don't feel bad, I like my old K2, I surely don't know any better! Been around F's, the K2, and aC2, it's all I know!

Kevin_Alabama

I have a Deutz in a 9690 Agco Allis, I wouldn't want it any other way. Good on fuel, excellent low rpm power, and sweet running. I have not any problems with it.

mo_farm

Some people love the air cooled engines some people hate them, not many in the middle. I have had 3 of the deutz engines over the years and was glad to see them go away. Never thought they had the power or fuel economy they were suppossed to. Very $$$$$ if you have to work on them.

NDDan

An R50 would be nice step up from currant machine. The small inline 6 cylinder needs a little more TlC than any other Deutz I know of. It needs good fan blade to pump right amount of air and or not wore to point of being out of balance. Operators that like to just start and rev cold engine or shut down without a idling cool down period could have shim sneak out of place from under the jug. This will cause a snaping noise when starting engine and reving engine. This would be snaping noise coming from head gasket leaking compression because jug isn't being held down square. This will also show up as leaking oil at base of jug. listen for snaping and have blade inspected and if no oil leaks it should be just as safe of a buy as any other machine with similar hours. The 9690 that Kevin talks about has the same series Deutz as the R60 only in a turboed inline six cylinder. That inline six and the naturally asperated V8 in the R60 have been rock solid. Blower blade in these machines need to be in good shape as well. I've seen blades in tractor applications last beyond 10,000 hours while combines very dependant on the abrasiveness of dust in the air. A couple R50s running together in edible bean dust may get only 500 hours out of blade while I've seen V8 blades with 2000 plus hours in good shape. Anyway hopefully that gives you something to look at. The R60 can be quite an animal with it's 228 horse power if the cylinder is set up to flow straw properly. The R60 is a more complex machine as compared to an R50 or machines you are used to. The R60 is for the most part a very refined N series. '90 and '91 R60s would have very similar rotor setup (P3) as R62s. The R50 had the P3 right from the get go. The replacement for the R60 was what was so called the fat 50 project.

Kaye2

Man, I appreciate the information, I would have initially steered away from the R-60 thinking the v-8 was one to avoid, not so. Thank you for the info and in a few weeks i'll see what kind of funds I have to shop with.

venturis40

i agree whole heartedly...my 9690 had power to spare.. pulling a case ih 1200 31row planter up and down hills... mud etc...dualed up in front and away we go...throttle back to 1900 and gear up no problem... bought mine from NDDAN