Combines Hey ROM

R_O_M

G'day Pengs I didn't even know that there were any stone fences around the Rainbow area so you have more info than me! I would say that if they are still there they are probably in an area to the NW of Rainbow in a local area called Pella. It is Mallee country with a lot of limestone which has to be mostly removed before it can be cultivated. Why the old german lutherans ever chose places like this to settle during the very late 19th and early 20th centuries I will never know but it had sandy soils and therefore in their eyes was suitable for wheat growing and most importantly in those days, workable with the horses and equipment they had. And the Mallee scrub had to be cleared before they could even start clearing the limestone so that they could do some cultivating. When I was still a small boy my old grandfather who settled some 20 kilomtres NW of Dimboola in 1902 use to tell stories of those days including about the incredibly hard work of clearing of the Mallee scrub So, yes there could be still some stones fences around that Rainbow _ Pella area as they had to get rid of that limestone somehow. There are a significant number of heritage designated stone fences, some of which are kilometres in length right across SW Vic. The fences in the SW of Vic use the volcanic origin stone that covers most of SW Vic and which was originally blasted out from the SW Vic _ Se South Australia volcanic province as late as some 7500 years ago and which include spots like Mt Gambier's Blue lake and Crater lake. For pipe organ music enthusiasts, the old Pella lutheran church located way out on it's own in this isolated area reputedly has what is regarded by some experts as arguably the best pipe organ in Australia with some of the world's top pipe organists making it a point to visit the Pella church just to play the pipe organ.

tbran

oh gee, He will get me for this but,,, the local church organist was a very, very well endowed lady. As gravity took its toll through the years the bosums interferred with the keyboard to the point the elders told the pastor she had to go. The music was horrible. The pastor ask for a special council with the lady and as matter of factly and gently as possible told her the problem and that the only thing he knew to try was to soak her chest in alum water before the next Sun service. She thanked him and promised she would try as she loved to play the hymns. It worked. The next sunday gravity was reduced as the skin shrunk, things tighend up and the music was fantastic. As a matter of fact there was not a dry eye in the house. Grown men wept openly at the organs sound as the music called everyone to assembly. The music director finally stood up,wiped his tears, opened his hymnal, and with severly puckered lips said "otay now ebbry buddy det a hymal an tun to...."

Kevin_Alabama

Thats a good one, I can tell who posted without even looking at the name... As the song goes from a famous local band. "Just another Sunday in the South".

R_O_M

Sems lik dem sudern orgamists an musishans in Tban's pach shure lik pladin ther orgins! Hic! Eccuse plase! Tban's hum bru suthern comfurt sure gut sum kic ! Hic!

Kevin_Alabama

Yall gotta excuse tbran, I think hes been sippin some of that corn from Henry county again.

tbran

we had an excellent corn crop last year. We averaged 26.5 gallons per acre.

Pengs5

Yeah rom neighbour gave me a book on the Chamberlain story called Chamberlain Australain innovator limited print run of 1600 copies. It has a dvd slipped in the back cover and shows the new Chamberlain tractors (post WW2 ) and ploughs_scarifiers working I'm sure the narrator says Rainbow and shows the town name (will watch again to confirm ) and i happened to notice these stone fences and my dad had a thing for them so now i notice them to. cheers pengs5

tbran

Actually I was a couple years ago. lee Cowan of NBC news interviewed me on camera for over an hour. A couple days later I was on National news saying something really country and dumb sounding about a story which was already written and had the reporters out looking for substantuating evidence. What is it saidIJ Everyone has their 15 seconds of fameIJ Oh also I had an Allis Chalmers tractor and Hesston Baler in the back ground - cleverly placed I thought - and an Agco shirt and Gleaner hat. they made me take the hat off, blurred the AC Hesston and shirt BUT the next sceen had a perfectly visable John Deere tractor and MOCO happily cutting switchgrass into the sunset. Grrrr