Combines F F2 differences

tbran

F 68-76 F2-76, called them 77 short backs thru '77. long back 78-82 1_2's when there was a 82 1_2 which was a F3. F3 official in 83 up to 86. F- F2 'bout the same till come to sep fan. F has 2 , F2 has one. long back 78 up had longer walkers and longer shoe. (8" on shoe and 18" on walkersIJ )can't remember exactly but someone here can. F and 77 deisels were 2800 AC's. Gas were 292GM's. RPM upped in the 78's for mo' go. 78 and up had 4.33I 200 CI turbo intercooled at 95hp. Grain bin size upped on 78 F2 to 120 bu and hyd unloaders were installed unless a dealer or machinery clerk screwed up and didn't put the hyd unloader on as a 99% rule. Proir to that bin extentions were optional as was over bin loader w_o extention. 77 and up had curved window cab. Black engine with bosh fuel inj at '80 model. Tan cab at 81IJ All through the years little things were improved and added as an evolving creature. lil sis K K2s were 'bout the same except 1 walker thinner. Early fans on the F's were constant speed with windboards to control air. Around '70 added variable speed lower cleaner fan. Power steering at same time std. All I can think of off top of noggin right now.

John

Just to add to the suspense. Somewhere here in Iowa unless it has found the salvage heaven, there is a 76 1_2 F that I owned. It had about 50% of F and 50% of early F2. It had the single cleaning fan and the heavier feeder beater and several other F2 improvements that were not in the F parts manual but in the first edition F2 parts manual. It had the 2800 diesel engine and was also air conditioned cab which was rare for this area. I always took the parts off and took them in to the dealer and had him match the parts because it was 10 serial ns before the F2 came out according to Gleaner.

tbran

did you buy this newIJ I knew there were some of these produced and run as F's but didn't know they were sold. I bought a 76F for Dad as the F2's were just coming out and tried to get one but to no avail. I was in S. la. at the time up to my q$$ in alligators (literally) working on proto rice machines and couldn't get to the right people. The HD feeder beaters were another story. Many customers were lost as corn yields went sky high and the std. wheat beaters couldn't handle the load. The 5_8" fingers and steel retainers were offered as a 'upgrade' kit but due to bungled information took about two years to make it to the rank and file in the field. Gee glad that is still not the method of operation..............

Brand

Our farm had a similar situation when we owned a 1976 K. About half the parts could be found in the K book, while the other half were in the K2 book. It made it a pain to get parts, because like you we had to always take the old part to the dealer to match it up. It must have been one of the last K's on the line. To top it off, it was a lemon and never ran for more than a half day without breaking down.

mo

When the design changed from two fans to a single fan for the shoe and walkers I think it was not an improvement. Opinions pleaseIJ

Farmer_Ed

These guys are right on the money about differences. Also the variable speed system was changed. The cab is quieter on the F2 and more protected from dust too. I like the rounded front window but it does collect dust on the inside. Also the heater was a better system on the F, it would heat your feet (which were the first things to freeze) and as you know from the convection theory, heat rises. The F2 would take forever to heat up my feet. The inside of the cab is changed around alot too. The idler on the engine is alot better system too although I think the later F's changed as well. Most of the other things are the same. The F2 is speeded up and runs faster so the sieves and chaffer don't plug as bad. Now on the sujects about two fans. I think the one squirrel fan is better. It has more consistant flow and does direct the air better. My dad still swears by the motto "Nothing gets your grain cleaner than two fans on a Gleaner!" I think if they had two squirrel fans it would clean as clean as a fanning mill! Good idea though, but they didn't stick with it. The one newer fan cleans better then the two old paddle type fans, although I think today with two fans (one is always going to miss some stuff because if it doesn't your throwing stuff out the back end!)would be a great idea. So there's my answer.

T__langan

I think the single transverse flow fan is better. Only thing that would beat it is Frmr Ed's idea of two of them. The single fan draws air across it's entire width vs drawing air from the ends, making it have to change directions to go to the shoe and precleaner. As we all know, that is one of the great things about these Gleaners - they don't make stuff change directions! It seems that I remember years ago at a Gleaner combine clinic that they talked about the differences between our transverse flow fan (the only one on the market at the time) vs the competitor's paddle fans. I can remember seeing slides that showed comparisons where they taped strips of paper all over the shoes of our machines and competitor's and then ran them. The Gleaner's air flow was much more even across the width and length of the chaffer but their's had dead spots - mostly along the sides of the shoe if I remember correctly. We still have the best fan out there in my opinion. The next best is CaseIH with a very similar fan - just a cheveron design to the blades. Don't know if it was true or not, but I heard once that CIH paid big bucks to woo a Gleaner engineer into their camp to design that fan so it didn't infringe on Gleaner patents. Deere uses a variation of our fan, only in sections that I THINK draw in from the sides - anyone know for sureIJ And they really went bass-ackwards with the STS. Eliminated the precleaning air duct and it looks to me from the cutaway diagrams that they may have gone back to a paddle-type fanIJIJ Gee, if they keep going, the next model they come out with will be stationary and you'll have to pitch bundles into it!! :) While I'm on a roll at rambling here, and we are on the subject, I would remind everyone that Gleaner has AlWAYS had the "dual outlet" cleaning system - right from the very beggining with the Fordson-mounted Gleaner! It had two fans - one for a precleaner and the other for the shoe. Keep in mind also that our green friends were about 66 years behind us in designing a precleaner into their machines (1989 vs 1923) and others have yet to match it! That point always comes to mind when we are complimented on bringing in the cleanest grain at the elevator. Some will argue that we are paid the same as the guy bringing in a somewhat dirty grain sample and they are getting paid for the foreign material, but there is pride in knowing you're doing the best job. And if you ever wear out your Gleaner (never known it to happen, but anything is possible, I suppose!),you can use your transverse flow fan to build a mini hydroelelectric dam to power your house. Click on the link below to see how one guy did it. I found this site a couple of years ago and was so impressed, I bookmarked it.....

ROCK

When it comes to dollars, I like the 2 fan system. With 10 acres to finish my single fan system came apart (nasty sound it makes)and really cost me $$$ plus time to yank it out. They are not cheap......cost of replacing paddles in other machine is much less money! The double fan does an excellent job for both my old series and the single fan seems just as good on my 2 series model. My 2 cents

John

Didn't buy it new, second owner, it was an excellent machine, just a major pain when the parts day came, luckily that wasn't often! Of my Gleaners, C2,F,M2,N6, the N6 has been the parts eater due to the previous owners abuse and neglect. But it's Hyperized,and engine "underhauled" last fall so it's fine now!

tbran

right. Any of youse guys who are a proponent of two fans,, ever change a upper fan in a AECGFIJIJIJIJ :-(((((((((((((((((((( One rule of thumb. If you have to, don't eat chile or beans for at least 3 meals before starting or if you have a helper send him for a fleet enema plenty of time before the start of the task. The flatulence sound IS kind of funny up in there - but there ain't no fast way out.