Combines R 42

NEBRASKA_GlEANER

I think you would be wise to consider a late model N-5 or N-6. We have an '84 N-5 and use it to combine 500 acres corn and soys.We hypered it this fall and if you put new chrome thresher bars in it when you have it apart you can do it for just over $1,000. On level ground (wich we don't have much of) we would run wide open in 2nd gear at 5.0-5.6 mph in 125 bpa corn.We run 4.0-4.5 mph in 40bpa soys with a 20' head.We work on it in the summer and go hard when it is time and I feel we could double our acres before the need to upgrade.

bucko

I made the same decision when purchasing a '84 N6. Financially, it made no sense, but being able to harvest in between rain etc and when you want to, not when some contractor wants to, did it for me. The machine I bought has been hyperized by the previous owner, and i could not be more pleased with its performance. In its first harvest, it broke down (under warranty) and the dealer sent out a 2388 to finish the harvest so he could relax with the repair. I was delighted when the 2388 could harvest no faster then my N6 and the threshing was inferior. The thing that got me started on getting my own machine was a contractor (also using a 2388) left about 1 tonne per hectare of wheat on the ground. (thats about 400lb per acre)

IowaDan

Put stalk stompers on your head. That's what I did with my 438 and they work great.