Combines ouch

Dan

Hydro filter should catch garbage before it gets into hydro and hurts something. If filter was mostly plugged before failure it could of went by bypass and got into hydro before you noticed leak on motor. Bypass is to let cold oil bypass not to let dirty oil by. If the junk come from hydro return filter under rotary screen you have hydro problems. Every now and then I find someone who has not replaced filter for years. Be sure to follow operators manual as close as you can. Dealer may have replaced filter but though I would point out importantance following the manual.

aussie_n

Thanks for your comments Dan !Both filters were replaced less than 50 engine hours previously and no sign of any contamination at that point.When a monumental failure occurs such as mine the canister type filter fills pretty quickly and bypass mode very shortly thereafter.later models have a spin on filter appears much larger .Do you think a retrofit would be worthwhileIJ (The damage occured probably in the first 20 hours of my operation of the combine-the previous owner of the front had a pea plucker(similar to a windrow pick-up)attached which was driven through the same hydraulics.Needless to say he was not happy when bits of metal were discovered in his filters at the first service on his brand spanking R-62 although the pieces of the jigsaw did start to fall into place!!)

Dan

A failure like yours would be very close to unheard of but!!!!! I had a guy that blew or replaced for whatever reason one of the hoses between header and combine. Shortly after the hydro got very weak. He hadn't replaced filter for years. I tore down hydro to find it scored up from contaminates. We went to salvage yard to buy him a hydro he could use. We rebuilt his hydro in spare time at a reasonable price. Scored up parts can be rebuilt if you have time to send them off. We wanted a spare hydro for we have so many machines that it could be used in and some are going to start failing. I'm sure new hydro filter could be plumbed into your machine and the great thing about them is they are a three line setup for the oil that bypasses goes to return filter and not the hydro. Don't think we have had enough trouble with old system to do that. New filters are expensive but I'm sure with the glass media it would have unmatched filtering capacity.

TwinSilvers

Not a pretty sight, but I find it hard to believe that those few pieces of "MOG" did all that damage. My buddy put a 3_4" T-Handle (wrench) through his 9650STS and didn't do near the damage as depicted in those photos; - perhaps he was just lucky!