Combines 1480 rotor belt replacement

Rusty

Forget the special tool. I used to do that and it's a bunch of extra work. If the belt is still on, run the rotor speed to the top and use a 15_16" or 1" socket down in the bottom of the driven pulleys to hold them apart. Then cut of the old belt (you wont ever want to put a used one back on there)and install the new belt. Be very careful DO NOT get your fingers down inside the rotor pulleys once the old belt is outta there. Follow the manual's instructions for getting the belt around the drive pulleys. The first one will likely make you swear a couple of time but be thankful you aren't changing the belt on a 1460.

Old_Pokey

For safety's sake,please use the tool. If you have'nt replaced the belt before, there is a spring that the tool compresses. That spring is very powerful. If the pulley halves end up slapping together, you'll have a miserable time getting them open again. I've watched people try to pry them open and end up breaking the pulley. Then they have a real problem. There is nothing special about the tool. Your book should give a picture of it. If you have a neighbor with an 80 series machine, see if you can borrow theirs. If not, and your dealer is close by, they should let you borrow one. If the book shows a fairly good picture of it you can see how simple it will be to make one. Also I would try to remove the belt in one piece, that way you will have all the bolts out that you need to take out and the new belt will go on in the reverse order that you removed the old one. Then you will have an idea of what is involved so that next time you do it if you wish to take any shortcuts, you'll be better prepared to make a judgement call.