Combines 1680 and 12 row cornhead

colwood

I currently am running a six row but would like to sell or trade up to an 8 row. 1063-30" to 1083-28". I know this doesn't answer your question but wonder if your selling the 8 rowIJ

statboy44

If you want to run a 12 row head on a 1680 it wont work. You need a beefier feeder, and final drives, the grain tank is also too small to handle the incomming grain, unless you like to unload on the go. We ran a 2188 with 8row, and now are up to a 2388 with 8 row.

Todd_n_sc_ks

Is your 6 row in pretty good conditionIJ What would you be asking for itIJ Or are you only interested in trading upIJ We are looking for a 6 row, so just thought I'd ask. Will be putting it on a 2188.

Forever_Red

Not real sure where you are getting your info on 1680s. I know for a fact that it can and has been done since the late 1980s. They didn't beef up the final drives, but you have to have the third lift cylinder to raise it. In corn country, the only way to get anything done is to unload on the go. After all if the 1680 has a long sieve it has more theshing and cleaning area than a 9750 (Stolen Technology Series). Have seen a 1480 with a 1243 JD head working in so MN.

combineman

We do unload on the go and have the long sieves.The machine has already a third cylinder. We can run 5 mph with our 8 row in dry 180-200 bushel corn. So why could't we run a 12IJ I figure 3-4 mph with a 12 is fast enough.Getting rid of the corn from the machine is not a problem.The only problem I see is keeping the back end down.With our 8 row it is a little light.Can't imagine a 12.Just getting your opinions and experiences.Thanks.

colwood

6 row is in excellent shape. Has all updates done on it that the 1000 series can have except for plastic snouts. Only problem is that I need to have 8 row of equal shape before I sell this one. We are located in Mich. Also, we have a nieghbor who has a 1680 and have been running 12 row for a while now. They beefed up the feeder, bin ext., extra cyl. and unload on the go. Works with no problem.

combineman

One other question are the single wheel 30.5-32 tires heavy enough for a 12 row or do you need to put duals onIJ

Grain

Where are you fromIJ We have two 1083's for sale if you're interested. I'm from WC Minnesota.

Todd_n_sc_ks

Well, if we had the acres, we probably would just look at a 12 row, however with only a couple hundred acres, kind of hard to justify that one! If you get something worked out with an 8 row, let me know. We have a 963 with all the updates located for around 6k that is within an hour of here. But if it's worth it, we can transport it. Thanks, Todd

SDman

Combineman, we have some 1680-2388s with different types of 12-row heads on them and most have the 30.5X32 tires, although the duals would probably be a better option.