Combines Question Why do we Gleaner Operators SEEM to upgrade our MachinesIJ

John

I have owned several Gleaners. The Gleaner is probably the most versatile combine for all crops. The ease of service does make them more of a candidate for Farmers, a very mechanically inclined group, to fix or TWEAK the machine for their specific conditions. Gleaner builds one machine for all crops, the rest make several different models or designs (speciality rotor comes to mind)to match a stock Gleaner. This leaves Gleaner with the possibilities of (Hyperizing) to increase their great capacity to begin with. Plus in my area, the Gleaner owners are more likely to keep a combine longer and put in the upgrade at much less expense than other brands and keep on running them as if new. My 82 N6 III (hyperized) will keep up with or surpass any of the new combines coming out of the factory today. And it cost nowhere near $250,000+ even with the Hyperizing.

Dairyman

I think it is because the long-time Allis-Chalmers_Gleaner owners have traditionally been hands-on and early technology adopters. For the most part things from Allis were designed so a farmer could repair it without special tools, heavy lifting or extensive investments of time. We have always worked on our machinery ourselves, but the neighbors with Deere planters and combines have been "conditioned" into thinking the dealer has to do the work. Nothing against dealers and mechanics, but I think familiarity with your machine by doing your own repairs_maintenence makes it easier (mentally) to be bold and try different things. Also, most of the Gleaner mods are reversible (can be undone) as they don't involve a cutting torch or welder. That kind of work scares a lot of people, esp on a $250k machine.

T__langan

I think it has to do with the fact that we are a special breed - we run the underdog combines from the underdog company. WhyIJ Because we don't swallow the marketing B.S. from the big guy(s) and run what we know first hand to be a superior machine, not what some glossy ad in a magazine says is superior. We are not afraid to take some flak from our neighbors for running what they call a "Silver Seeder" or "Tin Shed". To sum it up, we use the brain capacity that the other guys waste on convincing themselves that the company is right to dream up new ways to make our machines even better! :) Just remember the next time your neighbor tells you that you're insane for using a Gleaner - there's a fine line between genius and insanity! Tom langan

Tom_Russell

Good topic, Rolf. To give you an example of my mindset, lets talk about our new lawnmower. It cost approx $8,000 and is one of the best models available in the States. I had it in my shop for a month Hyperizing it before I cut a blade of grass with it. Now it runs the way I want it to run, and the controls and seat fit me perfectly. I guess you might say I am the same with farm machinery. I like to customize it to fit my preference. I would be lost with some other brands because they are so difficult to work on without portable hoists and lots of special tools. Tom in MN

unit_3

Why, Because it is fun! Customizing a Gleaner is like a street rod car. The book gives you factory settings. Do you stop there or can you make it betterIJ You start with those settings and twick the machine to your condisions. Just tell yourself, "Today I can only do my second best for tomorrow I will do better".

93aRRRgh_52

Because we like buying a new combine one piece at a time.