Combines 530 cross auger

KBomar

Factory speed on 500 flex is 125 rpm. On series 3 and 800 headers speed is 150 rpm. Only difference is the 19 tooth sprocket or 16 tooth sprocket on the 500. I changed my 525 to the 19 and helped in feeding. Did some searching on 800's and found the driven sprocket had a 70 tooth instead of the 78 tooth on series 3 and 500's. Ordered 70 and will know in about 2 weeks if it will feed almost as good as my uncle's 825. TBran said if auger explodes then I had auger running to fast. Question about the 30ft. How hard is it to load truck with standard long unloader and especially unloading on the go with duals on tractor.

tbran

We have a customer that has done quite a bit of work on this. First there is a kit to change the n50 drive chain to a n60 then add an extra belville spring. IF that is not a problem. 71314073 is a 19T that will speed up the auger ,,, this will help. You do NOT want much material under the auger. It will wedge between the tube and bottom then lock up the auger. Try speeding it up first. Of course the factory suggest running the auger as close to the strippers as possible. Hurtt came up with the idea of adding an extra stripper angle in front of the rear one. This really helps as well. The post on this is probably on the archives somewhere.

tbran

Kbomar, must be raining IJ McCarney does this - unloading as you said. That long funny looking spout helps. Get Shannydale to drive the combine and go less than your near speed of light traveling across the field and you will probably be OK. To all others, if you think your ground speed is less than what others are running, check your program as someone I know was running about a mile an hour faster than he thought he was..... :)-).....

RamRod

The 530 head I currently run came out with the cross auger going so slow it was laughable to harvest that way - Sometimes I think Gleaner engineers have a screw loose!! Did they think we are to put this 30 ft. head on an R42IJIJ I speeded up the auger by way of changing the drive sprocket as others have mentioned. Also, I assume all these heads still come with a channel iron laid the full length under the auger. I don't know about small grains use with these heads, but for soybeans I've never seen such a stupid setup ever on a head. Beans stay out front of the auger and bunch up and are beat upon by the reel - how stupid! I take the channel out and keep the back stripper so it scratches the auger when lifted and works quite well. I also check and calibrate each machine to read right ground speed as each tire option will make big differences as well. My $.02.

KBomar

Since the majority of Shannydale's usable daylight combining time is unavailable to me, but useful to others, she got to learn how to shell down corn in the dark. Being the careful operator she is, she was doing well coping with the agony of fallen corn pilling up on the end snout. I had shown her how to back out of these piles but I forgot to tell her that since the addition of a lTM that the corn head WIll unlatch itself if throat is lowered all the way. Also I have to mention the rush of trying to beat the pending severe storm heading our way. When I return with grain truck, the combine is shut off at the far end of field with header 10 ft from combine and drive shaft halves attatched. At the moment she couldn't put header back on

big_boy

Make certain that the flighting has a positive lean to it,that means that the outside edge of the flighting should lead or lean to the center of the auger about one quarter to one half inch more than where the flighting is welded to the auger. You can lay a square on the auger and slide it over to the crop side of the flighting and when the square hits the outside edge of the flighting it should be one half inch away from the bottom edge of the flighting where it is welded to the auger. It will make a difference in how it feeds.

HYper_Harvest

Unit3, Amen,we also found the cross auger speed to be a huge bottleneck on the 530.Even feeding is a big key to crop saveing capacity.Our 530 came with a 13T driver.Went to 19T and added a crary air reel.At over 3 mph with the 13 tooth wads would build as the cross auger slowly slowly moved material across.The faster auger speed with the crary would seem to be the ticket although a full fingered auger would be nice also.I see the draper head as the future,feeding is always smooth and head first.Adjusting the turnbuckle together to get the 530 platform to run in the last two inches of travel instead of the first one helped feeding also.Good luck! Hyper

tbran

This is a perfect place for two Ag teachers to have a delightful time in conversation extoling the virtures of a learning experience that would be looked at as an opportunity rather than a problem. The female, of course, would have the most correct answers and positive input. The male should use the term, yes mam or yes honey very often. Besides, she looks sooooo cute with her new 'doo' - Also you need to remember -keep repeating "I am so lucky to have a spouse that will put up with me" over and over.