Combines Kill stopIJ

Tom_Russell

Brian The board has had almost 24 hours to reply and nary a word. Therefore I have to ask what is a "Kill Stop". Somewhere I read about shutting down the machine when it is full but I have never tried it. Is that what you are talking aboutIJ I still have a vivid recollection of plugging an R series in wet soys several years ago and dont want to go through that again. Tom in MN

Jeff

Succesfull Farming had an article on kill stops. They said to check with your dealer to see if it is ok on each brand of machine. My biggest concern is is in the engine. The turbo is going to spin a long time without oil, and what about heat build up, I had an electrical short on a tractor that shut the engine down while working it pretty hard. When I finally found it the water temp was hotter then it should be. Does any one else feel the sameIJ

tbran

yes you are correct. Gives me cold chills, but I have done it in sacrifice to the process of education. If one has the intestinal fortitude to do this, do it in normal conditions. Just kill the engine. Shudder. IMMEDIATElY recrank the engine and let it cool. (I use the old rule of thumb of letting and engine run five minutes without being under power before shut down, if driving a unit to the 'shed' 30 seconds of idle time on turbo'd engines minimum.) What does this power shutdown process yieldIJ Nothing unless you are looking for a specific problem. This will not help in normal settings. Unequall shoe loading, grain remaining in the cyl discharge area, % threshing over the grate and maybe a few other things not normally a problem are the areas of information that can be inspected this way. Now, open the grate, put in low range, hit the cyl speed increase button to tension belt, put at 3_4 throttle, say whatever prayer you think has the best chance of getting results, (my favorite one is "lord, if you let this thing start I will offer my mother-in law as a burnt offering sacrifice") and hit the sep clutch engage button and hold on. Seriously, it usually is no problem to restart in normal conditions.

Illinois_Gleaner

I tried that on a F2 when I was about 13 years old. I was cutting beans and couldnt get to the clutch quick enough. KIll STOPPED the F2. Fired it back up ,and of course it was plugged. Went over to Dad and the first thing he said is you did'nt kill the motor when you stopped did youIJ Worked in to the night getting that thing unplugged. Have not tried it since. Hope I never do. Illinois Gleaner

Ilnewholland

We use the kill-stop on New Holland combines all the time as the op book tells us to. As soon as combine stops I fire the engine back up. I never plugged combine yet! I'm not sure if you can make all your settings from this, but it does show you how the grain and chaff is loading on the shoe(center or to the sides). You can also check returns that way. I'm not sure on a gleaner if this is as important as the rotor sits the other way and you have those rubber roller things. Hope harvest is going alright.

l3

I just kick the separator off and not the engine. It coasts a little but you can still learn some things.