Combines N5 w no engine

John

Have some variables to look at. Most 81 N's got updated as needed, except engine. Make sure the updates are in. Next, check out the cage, rotor bars and accelerator rolls. Price accordingly to wear or think about the cost of updating to hyperized. A good rebuild 670T can be had fairly cheap, make sure you get the upgraded AmBac fuel system and the proper shieves. local salvage yard gets $3500 for a good low houred 670T with Ambac. Cummins conversions seem to run $10000 to $15000 just for engine and conversion. If this machine is without heads, probably $5000 to $10000 depending on updates and internal conditions. Series 3 N's (1982) had all the upgrades in, most of the N series in my area had the upgrades done or have already made the salvage yard. The fact that he got another Gleaner would make me guess that he had taken care of the N5. All Gleaner 670T and 670I are prone to bearing and rod bolt failure, do underhauls every 1500 hrs and they will last a long time. I hope that gives you some figures and ideas to kick around.

kurtk

Thank's John that give's me something's to look for. I was talking to gratton coulee agri-part's and they have an 670 w_1200 hrs on it out of an N5, they would like $ 6500.00 for the engine w_core exc and it also has a 2 season warranty. He also asked if I wanted to change the engine to a 685I. They have a complete drop in for $13,500.00 and the same warranty. Is the change up worth it. Thank's kurt

John

I thought about buying the 685 from the local salvage yard for my N6 and was told by 2 dealers and the salvage yard themselves to not try it. It can be done but many headaches are involved. You have to basically replace every shieve attached to the motor and the cooling system. The N5 also uses the smaller hydro and the 685 will toast it. My N6 has the larger hydro of the 7 and passed on the idea of changing it to the 685. Price around the 670I can be found for under $6500. If you opt for the larger engine, the Cummins Retrofit is the same price and the parts are much easier to get and the Cummins adds value to the N_R series for years to come.

kurtk

Thank's again John for your input. From the infor you gave me, the bigger engine would be a mistake. The all the dealer's I talked to say that the engine in the N5 and N6 ownly last about 3000 hour's or so. How long has your engine lastedIJ Would you know of any one who has put the cummin's motor into the N5 and what the cost's would beIJ Thank's again for your help kurt

John

I have 3600 hrs with 500 since first underhaul. Measured the bolts and checked the bearings and it was still in good shape but cheap insurance for several hundred hours more before OH, probably 4500-5000 hrs. It has the the American Bosch(Ambac) fuel system. The engine on the 82 and newer N6's was slowed down. Still 220hp and better torque at 2-300 rpms less. Rpm's was the killer of the 670I and 670HI. The N5 was less prone to rod, bolt and bearing failure than the N6. When Gleaner went to the Ambac system the problems for the most part went away. The late N5_6_7 are equals to the R5_6_7 and rarely hear of an engine failure there. I have read of several N's with the Cummins conversion in retirement auctions in Iowa. Great Plains Cummins has been a major pusher of AC to Cummins conversions. Several 70 and 80 series tractors in the state with Cummins power. last I heard, the Cummins conversion from AC to Cummins was between 10-15k. Might also want to check the number of the belt or length of the throat. The long throat will pickup and run most new Gleaner heads. The short throat is limited to the old N head and the 300 series table. long throat's belt is 10" longer and the top hooks are wider. My 82 N6 calls for the short throat by serial n but actually has the long throat. Found that out when I went to replace the belt, the short belt just won't stretch that extra 10". If the neighbor kept his heads and is using on the current R, then it's likely that the N has the long throat.

GlEANER2DND

I put a brand new 8.3 liter Cummins in a 1986 R6 about 4 years ago. The total cost was about $13,000. It sure made it a beast. I have since traded the combine for a 62. The engine only had about 400 hrs. on it. The dealer, Hernly's, in Pennsylvania, is asking $20,000 for it if you are interested.

kurtk

John I have one more question for you. From reading all the message's on this web site how good is the N combine'sIJ It look's like their is alot of fixing to keep these combine's in the field. On average how much repair work and money each year would you have to send on the combine to keep it in good working conditionIJ I have an '81 l2 that don't need alot of work done to it to keep it in the field. How much more harvesting cap. does the N5 have over the l2IJ Thank's kurt

John

Before or after I got the previous owners problems fixedIJ After,second year on, I have replaced 1 belt, 1 set of accelerator rolls, and had the underhaul done. In the past 6 years, and under $2500 total for all parts and labor. Underhaul was 2_3 of that, followed by the rolls(all Gleaner rotaries need them periodically). The first year problems cost got split equally between me and my dealer. The previous owner had run it hard and put it away wet, but he is forgiven for that, he had hyperized most of it and was great about oil changes(that was evident on the underhaul). It looked like he wanted an N7 and bought the N6 and added on to make the capacity of the 7. Tires, final drive bolts, and the main clutch shaft(hard stop bent it) weren't happy. If you figure underhaul and rollers as routine maintenance over a several year period, it has been a very cheap machine to run, and what I am not leaving on the ground on the sidehills that the M2 did, it has more than paid for itself. High yields, hills, 6-30, and M2's don't match. And the amount of ground speed increase from the M2 to the N6, I have cut my fuel costs by 30%. According to the sales broch. for the N5, it is about a 30+% increase in capacity over the l2, with the grain tanks both being 200 bu., the capacity has to come in the rotor and shoe. My N6 hyper'd is a very hungry machine, I have a tough time keeping the rotor full with a 6-30 and a 320 flex. 2 mph was the top speed for the M2 w_6-30 and the N6 runs 6+mph w_6-30 and still wants more.

kurtk

Thanks john for all your help about the N5. It look's like I'll be getting a second combine for next year's harvest season, now all I have to do is find a good 670I engine for it. Just to let you know the combine come's with the P_U header and all he want's for it is $3500.00. I guess it a good price from what you had listed in the other e-mail's. Thanks again for all your help Kurt