Combines Removing wires in seperator Grate

tbran

it took a lok of courage about 5 years ago when I placed a piece of sheetmetal under the grate and fired up the torch. Cut about everyother wire off at the cross bar leaving the little uncut pegs in the holes to keep them plugged . One cannot cut evry other wire exactly as one or two have to be left between the frames as the numbers won't come out even. Works great. I have heard of extreamly dry brittle material overloading the shoe in conversation with Gleaner service. HOWEVER in most cases the distribution auger can be adjusted and the air increased to overcome these rare occasions. The greatest benefit is in corn, especially high moisture corn. Small pieces of cob wedge in between the wires and plug the grate almost solid. The increased space also yields bigger cob pieces that are more easily seived out for cleaner cob free samples. The exception to this is for hard to thresh wheats and barleys in some areas. Just think, some of the other brands get to put in and take out wires inbetween changes of corn to wheat and soybeans regularly if they follow the op manual and factory specs!

l3

What about in milo, especially milo that is a little on the wet side and plants that are completely green and lots of green leavesIJ

tbran

In that case a long vacation until it frosts would be best. This is the nemisis of all combines. Gleaner service guys wince at the calls such as this. One told me yesterday that two years ago a custom harvester got so mad at his gleaner in milo he traded them all off. He now owns 2 R72's again. The other brands were no better. There is no miracle on this stuff and conditions vary so I would not dare try to advise you here. We do really well in W.Tn but others may really have problems in your conditions.