Combines R62 Mainshaft bearings

still_galvanized

I had a 94 R72 with the same problem with rt. side main shaft brgs. When 2nd. brg. went out the shaft was ruined. Still in warranty at the time so dealer did the right thing and replaced with heavy shaft bigger brgs. Much better results. That deutz eng. was up to 330 hp. but heavy shaft was up to the task. Ask dealer for high hp. shaft.

max_doubt

I don't think my dealer knows anything about a high horsepower shaft. They are a top notch dealer, too. The parts book shows a different part number for an R72 with the Cummins engine. Is that possibly what you are referring toIJ I would love to have this thing reliable. We are in an area that is thick with Deere and Case combines (who isn'tIJ) They are running hard while we are fixing the same problems over and over. Embarassing................

Silver_Aussie

We have a '94 R-62, did the same bearing, shaft as you have. (Actually our maachine was a dud until we sorted out a lot of problems, took a couple of seasons but now we keep going without to many hiccups.) Unsure what shaft the dealer put in, but 3 seasons on and no trouble since. Trick is to tension it correctly upon installation - 4 feet of pipe, 2 blokes and give it every thing!!!!!!! No worries. Happy harvesting, Silver Aussie.

Shopguy

We also had same problem on 94 R62. Took out main shaft and most of the side of the combine the first time. Replace bearings and took off. Bearings went out again within a year. Replaced bearings and did like silveraussie said. Tightened the crap out of it and no more problems.

KBomar

Had 94 R52 same problem low hours. Someone new must have assembled mainshafts that year.

TlC_FARMS

the thing you might check is the amount of grease in the bearing. i've found that there is very little in them when we pop the seal. take wheel grease and fill up, pop the seal back. this seemed to eliminate the problem at our dealership. i've started doing this with other bearings as well.

Illinois_Gleaner

We have a 94 R 62 . The main shaft went out last fall. It has 800 sep. hours on it. 94 must have been a bad year. If you have done what you said I would get ahold of AGCO . I dont think that Gleaner has to take backseat to anyone when it comes to reliability. I was Pi$$ed off too. But I think that is the second time I was down with that combine since it was new. 7 years and 2 break downs isnt that bad. Make sure the torque is right on that nut,they checked our 72 and it was fine,but it is a 98. I think Gleaner had a problem in 94,just admit it and make it right. That is how you keep customers IMOH. Illinois Gleaner

93aRRRgh_52

I replaced the main shaft bearings on my 93-52 last year. None of the bearings went out but something was noisy. It's all quiet now. I don't hardly hear a thing when it's spinning. Aussie, how do you hold that main shaft from turning when you put the "hurt" on the lock nutIJ I have put a breaker bar between those slide pegs on the right side vari-speed sheeve. but just bend it before I think I've got the max torque on it. How do you do itIJ G'day, Nick BTW-when I put everything back together I had to use shims to get that lock nut to load down on the shaft and bearings. Otherwise it just bottomed against a shoulder and would not hold everything tight.

T__langan

Nick - How many hours did your machine have on it when you replaced those bearingsIJ Ours is a '93 also and I'm wondering when I should start worrying! Thanks, Tom PS: Have you gotten those wires out yetIJ

dibber

You can put the new bigger bearings in it. We have a 94 R62 also and we had that same bearing go out when it was under warranty. This summer I replaced the bearings with the bigger ones that the new combines have. We had our clutch shaft machined to accept the larger bearing. I did this to make sure that I didn't wreck the shaft if those bearings went out again.