Combines R62 Mainshaft bearings

big_boy

We made a wrench to hold the right hand main shaft pulley out of 2x2 angle iron which was one half inch thick and 60 inches long. We drilled two one inch diameter holes 5.580 inches apart and then ground a radius between the holes so it would just clear the hub. We then slipped this on over two of the variable speed hub pins and let the other end of the angle iron rest on the ground, now it was time for a GOOD two and a half inch socket (one inch square drive) and break over bar and a six foot long pipe and bring it on home.A word of caution, do not try this with tools made in China. It works great!

93aRRRgh_52

Tom, I think it had around 800 sep hours on it. What tipped me off was when I took all the belts loose and spun the shaft it just sounded kind of rough. like there was a dry bearing somewhere. And it m,ade a whirring sound when running. When I took it apart I (novice) couldn't really tell which bearing was bad,but it is alot quieter. That's what I like, a nice quiet combine. Haven't got to the wires, yet. Harvest is very close here I probably won't do that this year. But I know how to do it. Thanks

max_doubt

maybe they should make quality a concern when purchasing bearings and not simply go for the lowest bid. lately we have installed agco bearings that were purchased from all over the globe. That is fine, a quality bearing can be produced anywhere, but maybe with a little loyalty to a supplier the quality would improve. This is most likely our last Gleaner. I think the world of our dealer, but they also sell New Holland machines. I might have to try a bumblebee next time around. The N5 we were running before this thing was no where near this problematic-even with the less than desirable reputation they first had. That N5 had as much if not more capacity than this machine.

vstk

just wanted to point out one small thing here. lOC-TITE is very very very important to keep gleaners together. that clutch shaft bearing should be loc-tited into housing and onto shaft with green 680. also loc-tite the nut. after a self locking nut has been used once it is no longer a lock nut. Use blue for nuts like this and a lot of your problems will go away. (one note-loc-tite does not mean it doesnt have to be tighten correctly to hold, it will just help keep it that way)almost every bearing that does not have a locking -collar should be loc-tited adn a few with locks shoud be such as all fan shaft bearings. vstk

silver_aussie

I use a (roughly) 1" bar which tapers down on one end, this is about 4 feet also. The second bloke I was talking about holds this one. Place the tapered end between the 2 vari speed sheaves and hang on!!!! The belt will help you keep a hold of it (watch your hands). This way I suppose is only as good as the non schwartzaneggar (don't check the spelling) participant. Ps. Be careful not to bend the washers or mark the sheaves. Regards Silver Aussie.

MN_Dean

Can the electric clutches ground through the bearings on a gleanerIJ I remember a couple neighbors that had major problems with 4400 green ones doing that. They borowed my shop for a few days to replace the shaft under the seat. Problem was broken ground wire. Also check the brushes.