Combines Neighbor needs help with his 500 series head

G_man

Had this problem on same machine with the same header for couple yrs. Finally found out that had a bearing in the sickle drive out so fixed that. Hope that fixed the problem but maybe just haven't run enough to know for sure. Would be interested in kit if it breaks again. Make sure nuts are tight and bushings good. He's probably done that. Greg

unit_3

Been there, done that. 1 Remove plastic skid plate. 2 Reweld above and below the skid and grind off any weld that is above the metel skid plate. 3 I don't remember the size of hand but, I welded a square patch over top of the weld on the top side ONlY. Maybe 4x4,5x5, or 6x6 inches. Whatever looks good. I think it was 1_4 inch thick. 4 After it cools down on it own (no water please) put the plastic back on and bolt it back together. This is what I did some years ago on our 530 and it has held so far. Best of luck and have a SAFE harvest!

unit_3

Been there, done that. 1 Remove plastic skid plate. 2 Reweld above and below the skid and grind off any weld that is above the metel skid plate. 3 I don't remember the size of hand but, I welded a square patch over top of the weld on the top side ONlY. Maybe 4x4,5x5, or 6x6 inches. Whatever looks good. I think it was 1_4 inch thick. 4 After it cools down on it own (no water please) put the plastic back on and bolt it back together. This is what I did some years ago on our 530 and it has held so far. Best of luck and have a SAFE harvest!

ajco

My antique M2 head had problems shaking and pounding out the rubber stabilizer bushings I went to an auto wrecker and got a truck tierod with good ends + the steering arms off the spindles [to get sockets for the tirod ends.] The tierod was cut to the same length as original stablizer. The sockets were welded to plates and bolted to the right end of the cutter bar and head so that this stabilizer could be mounted in the same position as the original. [ left ends to head right to cutter bar or however yours is mounted.) Total cost about $20.00 + time.