Combines Green Soybeans

Tom_Russell

A round hole sieve might help with a cleaner sample. I have good luck with 7_16 holes for soybeans. I seem to get a better sample with covers on the shoe bottom to direct more air to the sieve and chaffer where it is needed. It would be interesting to hear what others have to say about perforated shoe bottoms. Tom in MN

dibber

I am beginning to wonder the same thing, we have a perforated bottom in our 72 and I can't get it to clean as good as the 62 with the solid bottom so that might be the difference plus I have trouble with the screen plugging up and then the pods won't slide down to the return auger and then tailings back up onto my bean sieve and then the clean beans can't get to the clean grain auger. I might just cover the bottom screen and leave the upper one open and see if that helps.

RamRod

In those conditions I would think it a must to have the return to cyl. installed. That will allow you to set lower sieve to nearly eliminate pods in sample, and still not have a problem with the return elevator overloading. I do run first 3 concave filler strips all the time too however, which may be a help. Good luck.

Brian

One thing we do in those situations is to take most of the wedge out of the concave. Results are similar to installing concave filler strips but I think is easier to do. You'll probably want to put the wedge back in for corn but again it only takes a few minutes. Brian

FARMBOY

I have a great idea, why not wait till the crop is ready! around here we planted 3 weeks later than normal and are now trying to harvest 3 weeks sooner than normal.

T__langan

Farmboy - Where are you fromIJ You need to consider that some of us live quite a ways north in the country and we are always in a rush to get crops out in the fall for fear of an early snowstorm. If you've ever seen a field of soybeans after getting a wet, heavy snow, you'd know why we get started a.s.a.p. Another thing - 13% is about ideal moisture for cutting beans to reduce shatter loss without getting docked at the elevator for moisture. Beans are ready to cut when the grain moisture gets low enough - not when the stems are ready. Tom langan

Tim_nj

Soybeans seem to behave a little differently in different climates, too. I noticed farther north (and farther away from the damp air off the ocean),beans will often dry down enough in the pods to combine but the stems will still be tough and greenish. Where I live in west central New Jersey, we still get some of that ocean moisture, despite being "almost Pennsylvania", and often the beans won't drop below 18% until they are brown from frost.

SilverSeeder

Thanks for the help!! Three days of 85 plus degree weather and 20mph winds did a lot. I was able to cut and get a decent sample finally. I'm sure the other machine would have done a better job but its still set up for cutting sunflowers. The concave is blanked off. Haven't had time to pull the rotor to remove it. Thanks again for the help.