Combines Hugger Head

t_leslie

My chart shows the first serial number of the HUGGER head was 13001 in 1989. It dosn't show any thing about the half year production. On the other hand the same chart show that AGCO was building the old style "black" head in in 1989 also, starting with serial number 12801.... If my memory serves i think AGCO was making still making the old style for a few year after the last l3 1987...just to satisfy any l3 owners that wanteed a new head......

T__langan

When we toured the Independence plant in March of '89, they were building Hugger heads - for some reason, I want to think they started Hugger production along with the Silver Hawk Series of combines and the P3's. I might be wrong on that though......

JOGE

There are different drive sprockets available from your dealer that can increase the head speed.

T__l

Broke both of mine this year on a 2002 8 row hugger that does drive from both ends. Mine broke where they spot weld a round bushing around the hex shaft. looked like shaft crystalized around the welds. Put new ones on and they are made the same way.

the_odd_machine

We also broke ours on 1997 8 row HUGGER in same spot.At the round bushing.

t_leslie

Does your combine have varible speed cornhead driveIJ That should be enough speed to run a hugger.

lloyd_E

Yes it has variable speed not enough speed on row units .

kw

They make speed up sprockets that you put on the rear drive shafts in the oil bath units on your hugger. Your dealer should have them or David Moeller (aka hyper harvest II) can get you aftermarket ones. I don't have his number in front of me but if you need it I can get it. Kirk

Hyper_Harvest_II

lloyd, KW is right,you can get them from AGCO,but they only increase speed by about 5%.Stock tooth count is 16T,speed up from AGCO is 18T. The ones we run are 20T,works well if you are running over 5-5.5mph.I prefer to match the speed with chrome snapping roll blades as they will last five to seven times longer than stock blades.last time I ordered these sprockets they were around $65 ea..Still less than AGCO if I remember right.let me know if I can help. Hyper Harvest II

Brian

We put speed-up kit on ours and has worked well. However, we got more improvement in the performance of our corn head when we replaced those 'rolling points' in front of snapping rolls. The increase in head speed did not make up for the wear on those points. Prior to their replacement our head was just not very aggressive, like it was when it was new. It had trouble picking indiviudal stalks...wanted to push them over. We didn't realize the extent of the wear on ours until we took a couple of points of and compared to new.