Combines Head gasket leaks on 8 3l cummins

l

I have now owned 4 8.3 litre Cummins engines and all of them including my 18 month old electronic one have sprung a leak of some description.Cummins says never heard of it before but if you are replacing gasket be sure to have the head machined as its surface is too polished.I have never inspected an 8.3 litre engine which has more than 800hrs and not some sign of white deposit around head gasket.Unless it is a Case cummins as in 2388 Header. Other cummins advantages include automotive govenors on many R62 most of which have been replaced with industrial govenors in my area of Australia at considerable cost to the owner. Our latest R62 with electrical gov. has the extra 25 horses missing and they have taken 30 or 40 with them that were in the old machine with industrial gov..Cummins comment "dont think so but we will check it out if you pay us" Centre pully on fan watch out centre cracks out and if your lucky it wont cut a hole through timing case cover before belt breaks"never heard of it before" Dont leave any hoses rubbing on engine dipstick as dip stick will come out a little bit and pump engine bay full of oil.Cummins"put a piece of wire on dipstick to stop it from moving" The most dependable part of R62 Gleaners is not the engine.

Rolf

G'Day Yep, I have had the same problem with my 94 R62 with the Cummins head gasket leaking out the pto end of the head_block, I had it fix up at the start of last year, and have had no further trouble!!! My brother in-law runs Cummins in most of his trucks and has said he's had the same trouble as well with them leaking out the head gaskets!!!!!! I still think that if AGCO went to cat engines they would have a better run and better performance! yep it might cost more. Just my thoughts. Rolf PS: Apart from the above troubles I still seem to be having a good run out of our Cummins engine it pulls fairly well and seems to hang on as well! must have got one that was set up right. " Touch wood" !!!!!!! just as long as it last!!!!!!!!!!!!

kernel

Check with your cummins distributor_truck shop. Take your engine serial number and they will enter in their computer. The part number will change to latest gasket. AGCO still sending original style of gasket.New part number has o rings around coolant holes in gasket.

MN_Dean

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I sure love this site!!

Dan

Thanks hear also. I havn't had any Cummins leaking yet but know of a spot on old A-C engine 6120 that could use an oring around 4 water passages. After heads had been removed a time or two and top deck of block gets smoother each time and the gasket has trouble sealing. The passages have special sealant around them but it don't seem to work if surfaces are to smooth. I started scratching a groove around these passages with much success but will look into modifing gasket for orings if thickness works out. These leaks weren't a big deal for they will just weap enough to have to add some coolant from time to time and make a mess. A fair dose of stop leak worked also and that is what I've had to do to many GM gas engines over the years. I do find combine engines give more trouble with head gaskets over the years likely because they have been run up to the red line and beyond depending on operator many times. Thats one thing about some of these new electronic engines for they will depower when things aren't right. Thanks again.

Dan

We're these 8.3's '94 and newerIJ I think the head got different material when the HP was boosted in about '94. I know of a fairly windy guy that has claimed to crank the power big time on some CIH Magnums with no engine trouble. Anyone know if the CIH uses different gasket or anything else that is different. I'd have governers that are on pump fine tuned by good pump shop rather than switch them. Some have switched with great expense to end up with other problems. I think when a guy gets material to flow well threw machine the governer will work just fine. We used to dyno every single machine for they seemed so short on power. Power was fine so we got busy tring to flow material better (HYPERIZE) and our problems were over. The newer your machine the easier it would be. Our electronic C series certainly have the 25HP boost over the 260HP machines as long as they havn't been cranked up. I know of at least one guy that wants to trade up machines for the electronic one but it won't do much more than old cranked up one. If your sure electronic one is low then get them out to find out why. Won't they cover it if something is wrongIJ Sounds like it is very evedent short. Have dealer check with Gleaner service to what latest software there may be also for Cummins should be able to flash that in at the same time. What would you suggest for time interval for fan pulley inspectionIJ Dipsticks were covered earlier and maybe there is something better to do other than tieing it in. I think a guy should check crankcase pressure with long blowby tube and then unhook to compare. Don't think it would be hard to install larger tube if that would lower pressure.