Combines Accellerator Rolls

t_leslie

Go get a new one and compare it to yours, then you make the call. I have had a hard time trying to make customers belive that they need to replace them untill they compare.....my $.02

Dan

There is a metal rib within the rubber and when it is exposed they are for sure shot. light weight crops need to have very good rolls and heavy weight crop is a lot more forgiving. If you are starting to have trouble blowing crop out you need to check the rolls. If you are plugging distribution augers you need to check the rolls. If you can stick a pencil inbetween rolls and wipe it back and forth it is time to think about replacement if you have light weight crops. If you can stick a 3_4" drive extention up inbetween the rolls and wipe it back and forth they are about done even if you have heavy seed crops only. Side hills would demand rolls in better condition. So you see it can make quite a difference what crop and condition you are in. Just be sure to check shoe loss from time to time because blown out kernals will not show up on crop loss monitor.

tbran

Illustration: assume one has shelled off a few ears of popcorn by hand and is pouring them through a blast of air from a window fan to clean out the husks. The higher the air blast the cleaner the grain. However if one turns up the air too much it will blow away the grain. Solution is to increase the velocity of the poured popcorn by throwing it through the airblast, the result is the high density grain goes through to the pan, the lower density material other than grain is blown away. Accelerator rolls do this, accelerates the grain 5 times faster than free fall, with a blast of air 5 times that of most combines. Better pneumatic cleaning. n2 - this is equally important - imagine the sheet of metal underneath a set of straw walkers with grain falling off the down side end onto the shaker shoe. Now tilt the whole thing 10 degrees right or left. The grain now NEVER HITS about 20% of the shoe on the uphill side and will severely overload the down hill side BEFORE the grain starts its travel out the back. To combat this the Gleaner accelerator rolls throw the grain evenly across the shoe EVEN on slopes. The grain is thrown 15 degree Forward to eliminate loss of shoe capacity going uphill as well. Therefore the accelerator rolls serve the purpose of 1. better air cleaning 2. Improvement of hillside performance 3. Allowing the use of a smaller shaker shoe and screen which lessens the strain and stress caused by starting and stopping a huge shoe hundreds of times per minute as it shakes the grain rearward, thus longer life on drive components.

T__langan

Right on the money as usual tbran. The smaller shoe also makes the chaffers and sieves easier to handle as well. I still remember the first Gleaner rotary we had, an R40. We set it up for the upcoming oat harvest, and started the separator to set the rotor speed. I (carefully) stuck my head in the air blast coming off that shoe and swore that nary a single oat would EVER stay in that machine! Sometime just observe the chaff storm behind a Gleaner rotary compared to any other brand! Tom langan

Silver_Shoes

Yep your right about the chaff storm, I dont think many ppl will understand that though. Alot of ppl look at the material coming out of chopper on a combine and say, well the green one or red one blows as much air. I think we should note to ppl reading this, besure you look at the chaffer air and not the material coming out of the chopper, you will soon realize that the Gleaner combine blows a much higher velocity of air than any other machine on the market.