Combines 1660 vs 1680

Jr64

1680 has the large rotor and a larger hopper. Main wear points are the elephant ears and pads, and the transition cone. The early ones with the IH engine are more fuel efficient, but the Cummins in the later ones will out pull the IH engine.

colwood56

We have both a 1660 and a 1688. Either one will be a good combine. Pending on your farming acres and conditions would help in deciding. We have some hills and the 1660 works better there. (25' head) If I had to sell one I guess I would keep the 1688. You would be happy with either. Easy to mantain combine.

brent_56

Thank you both for your imput we purchased the 1660 with 1010 head so we have now converted to Red! Sure to have more questions in the future.

Jr64

Congrats to you and good luck. I no longer run red due to lack of dealers in the area, but I still think they're probably the best and easiest to set combine.

brent_56

We will be using the machine on Sorghum hopefully this fall will the machine handle an 853A john deere row headIJ

JWK

Good luck with the 1660. I have owned 2 of them for a number of years and have completed different repairs and also upgraded with the AFX rotors. like them for there medium size for my area. Any more questions just ask. Jack

brent_56

Thanks for the post I might need some advice as we begin to use the machine where you have so much esperience with them.

JWK

Brent, Have you started any harvestingIJ Just thought I would ask....later. Jack