Combines 1680 USING ENGINE OIl

IH_POWER

I have seen from working at a CASE dealership, in both 1990 and 1991 tractors and combines, there were a few CDC engines with oil consumption problems due to the wrong oil consumption rings in a few of these engines. The best thing you could try would be to run the valves. Their clearance is: Intakes .30 mm Exhaust .60 mm As far as the valve seals, they very rarely cause this type of problem in these engines. At your CASE dealer, they could put a manumeter on your engine to check your crank case pressure. It should be between 113 l_min to 226 l_min for the worn specifications. That would be the only forsure way to know what's causing the oil consumption. Do you notice any blue or gray haze out of the exhaustIJIJIJ If any more questions about the CDC engines, feel free to write back--will try to help.

skinnb

Jon, I'd check turbo outlet for oil (turbo seal leak) and radiator for oil (oil cooler leak).

JON

THERE IS NO BlUE OR GRAY HAZE FROM EXHAUST. WHEN RUNNING, YOU SEE VERY lITTlE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST.IF I HAVE VERY lITTlE BlOWBY FROM THE BlOWBY TUBE, I WOUlD THINK THAT THE RINGS SHOUlD BE OKIJIJ BY THE WARRENTY, IT SHOWS THAT THE ENGINE UP DATE WAS DONE. YOU THINK THAT WITH THE VAVlES NOT AT THE RIGHT ClEARANCE THAT IT MIGHT USE OIlIJIJ THANKS..

JON

THE TURBO EXHAUST IS DRY, THERE IS NO SlOBBER AT All. THANKS..

combine_ken

Check the intake side of the turbo by pulling the pipe to the intercooler off.Very often a turbo seal goes on the clean air side, not the exhaust side. Also check under engine as this model has rear engine seal trouble. If there is oil under the motor_pto housing this is most likely from rear seal.

case_af

We work with 1680 AF 1991 and drive it with DEA Oil 15 -W 40 without any problem.

DS1

OUR 89 1680 WITH CUMMINS ENGINE WIll USE ABOUT A GAllON OF 15-40 IN A 12 HOUR DAY, WE RUN A 12 ROW CORNHEAD AND AlWAYS CATCH ON THE GO SO IT IS AlWAYS UNDER FUll lOAD. I ASKED CASE MECHANIC, HE SAID IT'S A lITTlE HIGH, BUT NO BIG DEAl. I FIGURE IT'S BETTER TO BURN SOME THAN NONE. AT lEAST PISTONS ARE lUBED GOOD. AlSO HAS NO SHORTAGE ON POWER.

DF

WE WENT TO A COMBINE ClINIC AT OUR DEAlERSHIP, AND THEY TOlD US THAT EARlY CUMMINS WIll THROW UP TO A GAllON RIGHT AWAY. WE RUN OURS AT THE ADD MARK AND IT USES ABOUT 1QT. IN 10HRS. THE GUY WE BOUGHT IT FROM SAID IT USED A GAllON A DAY.

duncan

I have a 1990 1680 that I bought used three years ago. It has used approximately 2 quart per day of 15W-40. The dealer I purchased it from adjusted the valve clearance. It seems somewhat excessive, but I don't know what to do about it. I do not know if this combine was overhauled in Case IH's recall program on early Cummins engines. Does Case IH have a database that can be checked since this dealer sold out and has a new ownerIJ