Combines NEW 2208 Corn Head

Unit_2

Kent, Do you think the 2208 corn head chops the stalks up as good and leaves the field as clean cut with that type of stripper rolls as the 1000 series corn head doesIJ Do you think the maintenance will be less on the new headIJ I know the 1000 series are not cheap to opperate.

KENT

Absolutley no comparison in the way it chops up residue. The 2208 really does an outstanding job when it comes down to cosmetic appearance of the finished job. The maintaince cost should be no more than the 1083 we already own. Our head is only 2 seasons old and ready for top and bottom sprockets, gathering chain, and new knife blades. That's about 2,000$ in parts over two years (1400 acres of corn per year). Maybe thats what everybody else spends I'm not sure on that sure. The stalk rolls had the aggressive knife blades on the 2208. They appear to replace very easily. KENT

Unit_2

Kent, I know what you mean, I have had my 1000 series corn head for 12 years and 1300 to 1600 acres every year. I have forgotten how may times I have replaced the chains, sprockets,and stalk roll knives. You said that the 2208 that you had was set up with the aggressive stalk roll knives. Do they have a choice of options on thatIJ

KENT

I guess that they make a Knife roll that is standard, and the also make a fluted roll that is more like a "deere" in that it is less aggressive on the stalks. Had neighbor that has New 2212 and CASEIH came out and put the Fluted rolls on during early harvest. I understand that the knife rolls are ultra aggresive w_ green stover and sends more material through rotor than one would like. KENT

fox

I have a 2208 and it is one nice head. Reminds me of the Deeres I used to run. I have two problems that would be easy to fix, the knife rolls are great but have almost ruined my tires before I put stompers on and the angle of the head needs to be more severe to allow room for the trash to clear underneath. A different adaptor plate would solve this.

todd08

I second that vote on the bish like adapter, I just spoke with Case company man after waiting 10 days for them to respond back. They do not think it is an issue. But I certainly think it could be improved. Why don't you try to put your two cents in to Case also. Also ask them why they buy all their Macdon headers with the most narrow feeder house adapter. Center belt width is for the 60 or 66 series combine, they just transition it down. Kind of stupid in my opinion, in heavy crop conditions not any too much width there at 38" belt, when 45" is available. The case header numbers are 1042 or 1052.

combineman

You guys are talking about your 1083 wearing out so fast,I run 1800 acres of corn a year.I have had this head since 91'.I had no problems with it till 96'.I rebuilt it then.Since then the only thing I have done to it was put new drive chains on and I broke a shaft on day.Also one drive collar wore out this year.I have never changed a sproket except when I rebuilt it.I know they wear out but for some reason I get alot of life out of them.I think this is the best head on the market.Over ten years it has only stopped me a half day because of a break down.Thats pretty good considering the acres it goes over.

frmall

Do you have an inclinometerIJ With the corn head setting on the ground, the stripper plate angle should be 23 degrees. A slightly flatter angle, down to 20 degrees will pick up down corn better but does limit trash flow. A steeper angle does flow trash better but also hangs more stalks on the hoods. frmall

Willbur

I have a 2206 head with knife roles and put 1350 acres every year. I am generally pleased with this head but am having the same problems that you guys are having. I like running my corn heads as flat as possible, so the shoe's on the back of the head are just 6 inces off the ground. This head seems to take more power than my 1063 and I had to laugh when I read about how much maintenance there is on the 1000 series heads because I had to tear mine down every winter but you have to agree once it is all set up right ,man would that think pick corn. Two other problems I am having is that there seems to be a lot of shelled corn flying around the feeder area and there is one stalk role that the bolt keeps breaking and I lose the cone in the field, and have fun getting that bolt out of the shaft. Today they are going to put a whole new role on I hope this solve's the problem. I cannot understand how come the knife roles are that much more money over the fluted roles. We had a severe drought here and where the corn was a liitle shorter I did terrible job knocking the stalks down.

frmall

Take a look at a 1000 series, the feeder face is covered. The 2200 series is much more open so you see a lot more loose corn flying around the auger. I made a metal shield about 6 inches tall to attach to the top of the feeder. I bent it so it fit the contour of the feeder face (Field Tracker) and bent a front lip on the lower edge for strength. That will clean up the center of the auger. Frmall