Combines MF 510 transmission problem

Cookie_Jar

When I've had this problem in the past, all it usually took is a cleanout of the chaff that was limiting the action of the linkage. If you clean routinely, that's all it takes. As the linkage may get bent if being forced against the chaff, you may need to adjust the linkage too. I'd advise you do both to minimize problems for the new owner.

P_C

We ran 2 75 510s for many years. This was a common problem. loosen the set screw under the cab that lets the linkage rod adjust. It's easier to adjust with one person in the cab testing the gear shift and another underneath loosening and retightening the set screw. Keep this up until you get the shift lever centered in nuetral and full travel into all the gears. It might take several attempts but it can be done. Ours had the exact same problem you describe.

rf

Ran a 550 for 13 years PC is right on. Its probably the linkage adjustment. Assuming its a belt drive instead of a hydro. Have some one put the shift in the vertical center between the shift and loosen the linkage so that the shaft slides inside the coupler. retighten with the shift arm in the position. Up might also check to make sure the tranny is tight and is not moving causing the linkage to bind.

whitecattlefarmer

Your suggestion was right on. Fixed the problem in about ten minutes. Just wish I would have posted this problem way back during bean harvest. Would have sped things up to have both machines in the field. Thank you all for your assistance.