Combines 1183 Cornhead spirals breaking roll pin

JJS

Are they failing, or are they comming outIJ I have a couple of spiral points on my 1163 that would not hold( Mostly the pin would come out). What I did was get a hard 5_16 bolt and locking nut(not the nylon kind) and use that instead of the pin. I measured them so they were just long enough to get the nut on. Been 3 years now, never had another problem with them. Joe

todd08

I like your bolt idea, it would beat the rivets. I ordered 16 new stars yesterday, thinking that I should replace them also, already replaced the stalk rolls and vine knives. I have a feeling that these are worn enought to make the augers have to push a little extra hard. I am scared of weakening the stalk roll shaft by oversize drilling to 3_8".

JJS

The bolts are what worked for me. My pins weren't breaking, mine wouldn't stay in.Replacing the stars are a good idea if yours are worn, it helps feeding alot. The most important thing on the MF head is timing the rolls to the book.You can have everything new,but if the rolls aren't timed, you will still have feeding and plugging problems. Joe

turbo

I had thais same problem last year. What I did was get several tappered taps and tap the exsisting hole in stalk roll shaft and put a bolt in and lock tight the bolt. Used a bigger bit than hole in spiral to countersink the head of the bolt. This was quite effective and would not hesitate to do it again. It seems that gleaner corn heads have had this same problem in years past. I was told that by tapping the hole the spiral would be held tight on one side of the shaft and would prevent the spiral from trying to move around on the shaft. Word of caution, tapping threads in the shaft was a bitxx, as the shaft was very hard. Good luck with watever you do.