Combines 640 Perkins Tractor to Combine App

Adam_Suess

What failedIJ I have a 1985 9720 with 5000 hrs starts very hard but runs good. I don't know what goes bad on these. Was told you can put 8.3 cummins in them. I've seen one with poorly installed 855 in it. If my engine has a major break down I'll put a cummins in it but would like to avoid that for as long as possible.

hellandharvester

Adam I have several of these engines and have talked to many other people that have had them. All of them tell me that if a 640 starts hard but runs good, the key in the timing gear on the crankshaft is wore and must be replaced before it slips and causes a lot of expensive other problems. This key causes most of the engine failures with the 640 and if left to long will reguire the crank to be replaced.

hellandharvester

I do not know much about the tractor engines compared to the combines. But if you are still looking for a 8590 engine contact me at hellandharvester@yahoo.com I may be able to help you.

hv_user

Were you the one that put a 903 cummins in a 8590IJI think that would make a great POWER PlANT in a 8590.Of the 640's that I have been around that is right about the timing gear.I would ad that the timing gears in general are a weak point.I would also keep close eye on the pump and injecters as they can cause early death to a 640.

Thanks for the reply. Got an engine out of another 8590 from Salem Tractor parts. Runs good on the yard, raining too much here to get into the field for a real test. Goofy thing actually starts pretty good. Rich

I have not torn the old engine down to see exactly what happened, but it was apparent that something went through the no. 1 cylinder. The end of the injector was banged up and I could see the crown of the piston was beat up through the injector hole. The push rod was off the exhaust valve on that cylinder, so I am guessing that it dropped that valve. The engine had 4300 hr. on it when failure occurred, had been running good up till that point, though did seem a bit down on power this year. I would also have liked to install a Cummins or some other more common engine, but did not feel that I had the time in the middle of harvest, though from the looks of the weather I maybe would have. Thanks for the reply, Rich

hellandharvester

Onionfarmer No I am not the guy that put a 903 in a 8590. I am the guy who put a 903 in an 860. I am planning to update the engines in my 8590's but I am going to install 60 series detroit's. But I do agree that a 903 would also be a great choice for a direct replacement for the 640. It would fit realitively easily inplace of the 640 and use most of the original drives. I am planning to change most if not all the drives on my machines so I will not be limited to engines that are similar.

woody

I'm the guy with the "85903".It was a fairly easy switch.Still fine tuning.The 903 made a real combine out of it.