Combines header auger

Cookie_Jar

I overhauled my table auger on my 79 MF750 this summer. The first problem was getting the finger timing arm off the other end. What finally worked was tapping the arm at the center of the hex shaft with a 1_2" NF tap. Then I used a hardened steel bolt (used for bolting truck bodies to truck chassis and available from truck parts places) and lots of heat and hammering to finally free the arm. When you disassemble the drive end, be careful not to bend the sprocket. I did and had to replace it. There's also a nut at this end of the auger for which you need a deep socket. I bought a cheap shallow socket, cut it in half with a cutting wheel on my portable grinder and extended it by welding in a piece of pipe. The hub pulled off the tapered shaft without too much trouble. I then supported the auger off the table with a couple of 2x4s and swung the arm end forward and finally the drive end out. Be sure to replace the clutch friction plates after you clean up the metal surfaces. I used a rubber backed sanding disk on my portable grinder. My slip clutch slipped with the slightest load, while I guess yours seized up. Remember, when things are seized up and corroded, use heat and vibration to free things up. While I had the auger out, I changed the bearings. A lot of playing around with fingers and cranks, tapping shafts through tight openings after proper positioning. Good luck.

dirtclod

Thanks cookie jar Will see how it goes with your advice. Ordered shaft today said it would be 3 to 5 days. Will probably set pickup atachment on wider header just to get going.I still remember last year tring to get millet to dry after a foot of snow.Also shaft was 35 dollars, told parts man it was the wrong one for that much money he insisted it was right but could add 150 dollars in freight if it made me feel better. We will see when it gets here. Thanks again, Bruce

Cookie_Jar

The deep socket I referred to was to remove the nut that fastens the bearing on to the auger drive shaft. The nut on my auger's shaft was very fine pitch and self locking. Since I partially melted it getting it off to replace the bearing, I ordered a replacement. The replacement I got was a very coarse thread, and inquiries to Agco said that was the only one ever used for the purpose. So when you replace the shaft, make sure the thread on the nut matches the thread on the nut.

Ken_from_nw_ohio

Did you get it out IJ We took two of them out this summer.

dirtclod

Don't mean to be rude in not replying, just been busy. Didnt get it out . Dealer said it would be threee to four days to get shaft and I didn't want to wait so I put pickup on Gleaner and got after it.Shaft came though and looks to be right.It is the first part I ever bought I thought was to cheap. Need to cut milo now then sunflowers so shaft in the dummy head will have to wait. Thanks for the help. Bruce